My First Hatch - Whats normal?

ChloeAnderson

Hatching
5 Years
Jan 27, 2014
Brandon, FL
Hi All,
Very excited as my first hatch should be starting on Friday. I'm wondering when I can expect the first pip - the books I've been reading say day 19 is when it will start.... No sign of pips yet. I was reading through some strings and seeing that some folks have had hatches run 22, 23 and even 24 days. I started with 5 and all seemed to be developing except one which never got started (removed yesterday when I took the turner out). On my last candling (yesterday) all of the 4 remaining eggs showed solid dark and the little I could still see what blood vessels near the air pocket. Would love to get a better idea of what "normal" is.

Breed: Ameraucana (given to me by a friend)
Set: 1 Feb (late in the day)
incubator: 1588 hova-bater (Styrofoam, circulated air) with automated turner shut off yesterday (18 Feb)

Any advice on what to expect would be great...
thanx in advance,
Chloe

Last edited:
I have limited hatching experience but what happened for me was that they generally hatched on time. 50% hatch rate for shipped eggs is what I get.

It is best if they seem to still be alive in there to wait until 3 days past the hatch date since some may hatch that late. I even read of one fella who threw his eggs in the field 3 days past the date- and went over to look and there was a chick alive - he saved it and put it in the brooder.

I've been looking through the incubator window and saw one egg wobble when I shone the light straight at it last night. As of today I've seen 2 of the four eggs do this wobble - has anyone ever seen this?

Back
Top Bottom