My first hatch

danab

Songster
10 Years
Jul 24, 2009
So Cal
I set my first batch of eggs on February 1st. I found a local source in the San Fernando Valley for Oliver Egger eggs. His roo was absolutely gorgeous, a BCM(he said it was Cottage Hill line). So I asked for 12 eggs and he gave me 18.

I used the Genesis Hovabator, manually turning the eggs 3 times a day. 14 out of 18 hatched.

I love to take pics so I hope people don't mind lots of photos of the chicks.

Pics above less then 24 hours old.

The 2 pics above are on day 2

Thanks. I was very happy to have 14 out of the 18 hatch. The Genesis is so easy to use. It held temperature very well in my living room. And I know the temperature in the room varied by at least 10 degrees each day.

I had to cull two of the chicks. They had deformed legs and could not stand. The feet were pointing to the side or even up. But the rest seem to be very healthy, all eating and drinking.

Beautiful photos!

Second to last pic, is that one going to have fuzzy legs?
Thanks a lot. These are my first OE's. I have two EE's and four of these baby OE's look just like the two EE's.

This is Bella my old EE and I think two of my baby OE's will look a lot like her. (except they don't have the green legs)

And this is Dora, my second adult EE. I think two of my OE's will look a lot like her. (minus the green legs)

Last edited:
I have EE eggers and she lays the greenest green, combo of kelly and aqua.
These two girls havn't laid in over a week now. They are over 4 years old and have really slowed down production. So that was one reason I wanted to get some OE's.

Back
Top Bottom