My first (homamade) incubator.

NamahKatana

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 23, 2011
Oregon
So I'm making my very first incubator. I'v never incubated eggs before so I'm hoping it works.

I have a 30 gallon aqaurium with a box inside to hold the eggs/chicks, a 75 watt light, and a jar for water to raise the humidity if needed. Styrofoam around the out side to hold heat and cling wrap and a towel for a lid. I'm working on getting the temp right which is proving to be a challenge lol I had it all the way closed and the temp went up to 109 F, I opened it apearently too much and it went down to 86 F. I closed it up some and hopefully I can get 99-101 F soon. I want to set my eggs! lol My humidity right now is at 37% with no water added.

Heres my plan:
Once I get the temp right(99-101 F) collect eggs from chickens(about 10) mark each one with an x and o and set them. turn 3 times day. On day 18 raise humidity to 50-60% and let them hatch. Hows that sound?

i'll get pics of my incubator once I get the temp right.

So I'm making my very first incubator. I'v never incubated eggs before so I'm hoping it works.

I have a 30 gallon aqaurium with a box inside to hold the eggs/chicks, a 75 watt light, and a jar for water to raise the humidity if needed. Styrofoam around the out side to hold heat and cling wrap and a towel for a lid. I'm working on getting the temp right which is proving to be a challenge lol I had it all the way closed and the temp went up to 109 F, I opened it apearently too much and it went down to 86 F. I closed it up some and hopefully I can get 99-101 F soon. I want to set my eggs! lol My humidity right now is at 37% with no water added.

Heres my plan:
Once I get the temp right(99-101 F) collect eggs from chickens(about 10) mark each one with an x and o and set them. turn 3 times day. On day 18 raise humidity to 50-60% and let them hatch. Hows that sound?

i'll get pics of my incubator once I get the temp right.
Do you have a photo ?

The temp was still at 106 F. I switch the lids and it's now at 104 F and 20% humidity. Added more water and hopefully the temp stables out.

Judging by the brooder lamp, it might be a bit on the strong side. I've made a few now and I always start with lots of ventilation holes and a week bulb....this gives you scope to control the humditiy by blocking holes and increasing temp until you get it perfect.

I tried to remove the reflector but it's an old lamp and it's kinda stuck on there. The bulb is 75 watts. I poked a few holes in the styrofoam and it should let up on the heat. I also had to move the jar of water into the box as the humidity just kept going down(to 16%)

Edit: I was able to remove the reflector so we'll see =)
What I mean is......get rid of the reflector and you'll get a more egg friendly temp.

Last edited:
Honest dude...the reflector is acting like the sun. Always work on controlling the heat with a low watt heat source. It's easier to raise the temp than lower it. Plus, low temp will only delay your hatch.....If it has potential to spike then its all over, or a very small chicken korma at least.

Back
Top Bottom