My first incubated batch of chicks! PS.. I'm a newbie here ;)

TheHangryHen

In the Brooder
Mar 5, 2021
Hello! I am in upstate NY and I started my chicken addiction a few years ago because I thought maybe I would like my youngest to experience small farm life. I initially went to the amish and bought 11 adult hens and an adult rooster. By the following spring that just wasn't good enough so I bought some chicks.. you know where this is going I'm sure lol. Annyway, Here I am probably 4 years later or so with a nice little mixed flock of 36 chickens. I have my original Buff Orp rooster (Ruffos) and another rooster (Rambo) who is a black silkie. The hens are barred rocks, cinnamon queens, california whites, speckled sussex, easter eggers, midnight majesty marans, copper marans, and columbian wyandottes. So this year I decided that I might want to incubate some eggs. I have batch 2 in now because apparently I don't know when to stop lol. So the first batch has hatched and are almost 3 weeks old. The interesting part to me was to see how these chickens ended up looking as they grew (being mixed). I am fairly certain that the Buff Orpington roo is responsible for most if not all the large hens. I did get one silkie and it appears to be a straight silkie. I have a few that hatched in the middle of the night that I cannot say for sure which egg they emerged from, however I have 5 that I know were hatched from california white eggs. The results were a touch surprising to me and as they have gotten older I am increasingly interested. I will post a "baby" photo of this particular mix, and a couple "teenage" photos. I have a suspicion that the one may be a roo. Please let me know what you all think and let me know if anyone has encountered this particular cross before. Oh... and egg color... I assume my easter egger/buff orp (roo) chicks will lay muted colored eggs or maybe brown? What has been the outcome of your backyard mixes? I do have some others (not this mix that are starting to show some barring (I have 3 barred marans and 3 barred rocks) would these be sex link chicks?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-03-05-10-01-04.png
    Screenshot_2021-03-05-10-01-04.png
    1 MB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_2021-03-05-10-00-22.png
    Screenshot_2021-03-05-10-00-22.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_2021-03-05-10-01-20.png
    Screenshot_2021-03-05-10-01-20.png
    703.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_2021-03-05-10-01-25.png
    Screenshot_2021-03-05-10-01-25.png
    835.7 KB · Views: 3
  • RACECAR.jpg
    RACECAR.jpg
    557.4 KB · Views: 3
Welcome to BYC!
I have a blue (orp/ameraucana) we rooster that is 3 now. He has fathered a large portion of my younger flock. All of his girls lay blue, green, olive with the exception of one who looks like a buff orpington with muffs. She lays a large light brown egg.
I think in order to insure you get 100% blue and green layers the rooster (& the hen) must both carry the blue egg gene.
Anyone? Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Back
Top Bottom