My First Incubator and Egg Turner

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ThePigeonKid, Jan 9, 2011.

1. ThePigeonKid

ThePigeonKid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs
    I got my first incubator and egg turner today, both are Little Giant brand. I can't wait to get a chance to use it! [​IMG]

2. Petej

Petej Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    PDX area
    I hate be the bearer of bad news, but not many people have had good luck with LG's.

LG's are the Redheaded Stepchildren of the Incubator industry. [​IMG]

I've read on the interwebs that if you ditch the electronic controls and install the wafer style thermostats that are in the GQF Incubators and they work fairly well.....

I have one here that hasn't ever worked right. Temp to high, temp to low, and no way luck in fine tuning it, drafts REALLY effect it, must be absolutely level or the troughs dribble water.... I had a temp spike to 114 degrees and it wasn't turning off. Even when I turned the dial all the way down. I unplugged it at that point and put it away. If it was mine (it's the FIL's) I would have gutted the thermostat and installed the wafer style thermostat.... Luckily I hadn't put eggs in it yet.

My Hova-bator OTH I could hatch rocks with. [​IMG]

3. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

Congrats on your first Bator!!!! I would advise ONE little thing to help it along... Do you see the little adjustment shaft on top of the bator for the temp... Go to Radio Shack and get a Knob for it.. They have them in the component area (where resistors, transistors are)...

Secondly... set it up and make sure you know how to work it including all of its' little issues. MAKE sure it works, egg turner works. Place it in an area of your home that gets NO drafts, no A/C or Heater vents anywhere close, and no ceiling fans.

Thirdly I would set some local eggs in it first, some of your own, or what ever just so that you go through a hatch before you put any expensive eggs in it.

[​IMG] Welcome to the Hatching Club!

4. jm93030

jm93030 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    When I first used a LG was very bad , it only improved by adding a coputer fan .

Is very easy to install just get a computer fan and a cellphone power cord conect power cord to fan make sure it works and place it in the bator

I used hot silicon gun to stick it on the bator top

this will turn the still into a flow air bator wich will get you more even heat, maintain your tem at 99 to 100 if you use the fan

GOod LUck

5. CorgiHouse

CorgiHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2010
    Boring, OR
    I just purchased a used LG still air with turner last month, before I read everyone's comments about how hard they are to use. After I got it up and running, I discovered that many people don't like them and I then did my best to read about what their problems were. I wanted to make the best of what I now have........

Four weeks ago, I set my own eggs in it and I had 9 out of 12 hatch. Chicks are a week old now and doing great!! [​IMG]

So, I would like to officially say that I did not have the horrible troubles that have plagued some people, so please don't get too discouraged. And these are the tips I would like to pass on:

*Run it for at least a week without eggs to get a 'feel' for it.

*Do put it in an area that has the most constant temps and no drafts or air flow.

*Don't mess with the thermostat unless absolutely necessary!!!!

*Repeat - don't try to adjust the temps. [​IMG]
    I found that the bator temp will fluctuate some, but it stayed within a set and safe temp range. Mine varied between 98.5 - 101, and the majority of the time it was between 99.5 - 100.5 on top of the turner. I believe that the troubles that some have with the temps is when they try to adjust it when they see it go a little up or down in the range. I accpeted the fact that it was going to do that and assumed it was fine if it was within a degree of 'perfect'.

*Try not to lift the lid off for long periods of time. I did lift mine when needed and it was fine. Again, once you let temp and humidity out by opening it, let it alone for a few hours to stabilize - I found it always did and I did not have to adjust temps.

*Leave the vents open all the way the whole time if you can. Since there is no fan to circulate the air, I felt it was best to try to let as much air in as possible.

*Relax and enjoy and before you know it you should have new chicks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by