My First Intruder

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by krazeepolack, Sep 20, 2010.

1. krazeepolack

krazeepolack Chillin' With My Peeps

I just brought home 26 hens to start raising chickens. They were hatched on 8-11-10. On the 3rd day in their new coop/cage, morning inspection showed two small holes where someone/something tried to tunnel into their pen. I thought my pen was bullet proofed for illegal entry. I used 1" X 1/2" welded screening, thinking no real/normal predator could crawl through such a small hole, I proceeded into the coop for cleaning/feeding. As I reached into the feed barrel, a quick unexpected movement nearby caught my attention. I sent all my chicks outside, & proceeded to apprehend the intruder. What a shock to find a small "rabbit" had squirmed his way into the pen/coop!! One feed bowl was completely empty. Bugs Bunny must have had a very full tummy. When last seen, he was doing about 130 mph across the acreage, w/a dust cloud trailing behind. Can a small rabbit be classified as a predator or a trespasser?

2. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:Sneaky!! I'm not sure he could do any harm besides ingesting all of the food though!

3. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    I am not sure if a bunny is a predator. They usually do not eat meat that I know of. I have a bunny that free ranges with my chickens.

4. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    Sorry, the bunny isn't a predator, they are prey just like your chickens.

Well feed ones are tasty. Us fox sure like them.

5. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    Bunnies are friends [​IMG]

6. krazeepolack

krazeepolack Chillin' With My Peeps

When I wrote-"RABBIT" predator or trespasser?, I included it as a funny , but some folks thought I was evidently serious. Sorry for the boo boo!

7. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Glad it was just a bunny.Hope you fix the hole before a real predator finds it. I once found a bunny living in one of my cantaloupes.

8. Chicken Delight

Chicken Delight Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2010
    Utah
    I think you have to be be very careful with large white bunnies living in caves. They can be predatory, particularly if you are dressed up as King Arthur's Knights of the Roundtable. Good luck with your infestation.

9. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Dinner guest. [​IMG]

ETA, I mean the rabbit is a guest, NOT the dinner! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  10. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Quote:[​IMG]