My first load of eggs just came in the mail

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by conny63malies, Mar 27, 2008.

1. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    And the mailman was awesome. He knew whats in the package and took great care of it. Even asked what kind of eggs and what breed. I told there will be more and he said he is going to make sure they are handeled with care. On the package itself it said "live embryos" and fertile eggs do not xray, open if neccasary. When i opened the package i found 14 bubble wrapped bantam eggs in shreded newspaper. There are 7 frizzle eggs, 5 silkies and one thats a little odd shaped i cant tell which end is which. One silkie egg has a slight crack in the shell [​IMG] I will keep them in the coolest room in the house until tomorrow(about 68F)because there are still the cochins and the polish on the way.
    I am not giving up on the odd one i will put it in the hovabator to see what it is. Anything marked with a Z is worth trying. The little silkie with the crack will go to the yellow chick bator. If it works great if not , oh well-at least i gave it a chance.
    Wish me luck folks it is my first time using a incubator.

2. chicktasticvt

chicktasticvt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Bennington, VT
    Good Luck [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Hi Connie!
    That's GREAT and good luck with the 2nd group of eggs coming tomorrow.
    Ooooh, marked with a 'Z'.
    Wonder what it could be?
    I can't think of anything chicken that starts with a Z.
    (lol, that sounds like the beginning of something 'Seuss-ish')

I hope the next 21 days go quickly and smoothly [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

4. conny63malies

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    well its a cream colored bantam egg. and if you turn the z it might as well be a n. Its a zurprise egg.

5. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    That's great about the mailman-good for you! I gave my new mailman a holiday card and tip, so I'm hoping he keeps that in mind while delivering my packages [​IMG]

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Hey, if you candle that odd shaped one, you can sometimes see a little disc-like shadow, the aircell. I often have to do that on some eggs I get from certain hens, although, most of those don't get sent out. I just like to put them aircell end up in the fridge, too.

7. Must Be Losing It

Must Be Losing It Lost It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    Good luck! Its exciting yet nerve wracking at the same time. And congratulations on a positive experience with your mailman.

8. conny63malies

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    thank god the kids kee me busy. Its more nerve wrecking than taking care of my preemie daughter.(and they are not even in the bator yet)

9. chicken_boy_Kurt

chicken_boy_Kurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    GL with the eggs. And about the cracked silkie egg, my friend was incubating eggs for a 4H project, and as he was putting 1 back in after candling it fell from a few inches up and cracked slightly. He was really worried and called the leader of the poultry 4H and she said to put scotch tape on it. He did and it was the first to hatch.

10. conny63malies

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    the other half just showed up from Texas.
    i ordered 12 total and 18 uncracked eggs showed up. I think i love the mail around here. this mailman didnt just put them by the door he rang door and handed them over.
    I found in the pack 6 standard polish in buff and 2 in gold laced , in bantam i have 2 white crested black polish, 2 partridge cochin and 6 gold laced cochin.Since they are on the road since monday i just warm them up and put them in the bator tonight.
    Boy , i think thats going to be one purdy flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by