My first outing!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by RocketChick, Apr 28, 2009.

1. RocketChick

RocketChick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2009
    Okay, I have two chicks and two ducklings. (will get a third chick on thursday)

One chick is 12 days old.

One chick is 7 days old

And the two ducklings are siblings at 7 days as well.

They are in the same brooder (they are all good friends, teamed up against the common enemy...me!) [​IMG]

I'm not sure if you are supposed to take the chicks outside for a little supervised fun free range time but I have heard you do this with ducklings. Is it okay to do it with the chicks too? Should they be alone or with their chick friends? What age?

I ask because I just recently took one duckling out and that was horrid, it ran around the backyard screaming for it's friend and it was very hard to catch. Scared me to death! I was stupid to think it would be very calm. What age should I take it out and should it be with its duckling friend too? In a pen, right? (duh!)

Sorry, I know this is half ducks, but I was hoping that they both had the same rules. xP

2. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    Chicks can go out in the yard for a bit too. I bring mine in when they start huddling together and not really exploring anymore.

To make it easier to catch them you may want to set up a play pen type of construct. I used the wire sides of an old ferret cage. They love playing in the yard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by