My first pink eggooooo

maarijke

Songster
7 Years
Jun 23, 2016
We have 13 breeds and 18 teenagers from 2.22.22. We got one broken egg yest that was pink and today got this bitty smallerish one. So technically our first intact eggo!!

So proud. The kids are beyond excited!!
I think mayyyyybe a faverolle??
I need to make a chart of who lays what.

We have prairie bluebells.
Faverolles.
Amerucanas.
Ee.
Lav orp.
Buff orp.
Pbr (im sorry every single time i see pbr i think pabst blue ribbon. I dont even drink. )
wyandotte.
Light brahmas
and dark.
Cinnamon queen
And some more. The kids made a poster
The brown and white are from our older hens.

P. S. I found a water balloon or no shell egg in the big girls coop today. Feel free to advise. Im a new chikin mama. Im searching all the threads. They have free choice oyster. Live in dryyyyyy colorado desert. Get pellets for food and scraps. She in fact was laying calcium nodules or nubbins on her eggs just before this. Makes no sense. Not enough calcium. Too much. ???

A5889BAD-E708-4099-B281-6220398817FF.jpeg

Attachments

• 30290175-BB53-4AA0-A505-309A9170AEE7.jpeg
    30290175-BB53-4AA0-A505-309A9170AEE7.jpeg
    568.7 KB · Views: 2
Congrats on the egg. Regarding the softie, keep an eye on her for more, and if it continues, try giving a calcium tablet for a couple of days.
Talk to me like im 5. Give it to her like a dog but not in cheese? Put it in her mouth? Or crush it up and put it in water and dropper it? Im searching around and people say dif things. 😂🤷🏻‍♀️😩🙄

Talk to me like im 5. Give it to her like a dog but not in cheese? Put it in her mouth? Or crush it up and put it in water and dropper it? Im searching around and people say dif things. 😂🤷🏻‍♀️😩🙄
I stick it in the back of their mouth and massage it down the esophagus.

Congrats on the egg. Regarding the softie, keep an eye on her for more, and if it continues, try giving a calcium tablet for a couple of days.
I have another question- our chicks are beginning to lay and they keep having smashed eggs on the coop floor. Its days in a row now. Pink. Small. Busted. I think shes laying from her roost bar?!

We have a 10 box nesting apartment condo wall metal contraption we installed last night. I had previously had drawers in there w hay straw and golf balls in them.

Ideas on how to train them to lay in a nest box? Ive been watchingvideos on yt trying to fig it out!

I stick it in the back of their mouth and massage it down the esophagus.
If they're laying from the roost, it's not a matter of training them to use the nest box. They need to gain better control over the process so they're not laying at night, and that'll come with time.
So just wait and cross my fingers? 😩😩😩😭😭😭😭Okay. I can do that. It makes me sad. Like all their hard work smashed. I wanna put pillows down but they poop all over😂

The eggs off the roost... are the shells thin or thick? How high up are your roosts? Do you have a good thick layer of bedding underneath? Reason I ask is when I get off-the-roost eggs on occasion, they usually land whole and usable on the bedding below, and that's over a 3' drop. So it is possible to still salvage some of those as long as the shell (and bedding) is thick enough to handle it.

The eggs off the roost... are the shells thin or thick? How high up are your roosts? Do you have a good thick layer of bedding underneath? Reason I ask is when I get off-the-roost eggs on occasion, they usually land whole and usable on the bedding below, and that's over a 3' drop. So it is possible to still salvage some of those as long as the shell (and bedding) is thick enough to handle it.
Highest is 4’ and they go down to 1’.

Poop and some straw. I just cleaned it all out bc i didnt want to encourage laying in the straw so i scraped the whole thing out. Theres about5” of straw inside each nest box.

Maybe theyre pecking them? The one yest really looked like a peck now that you mention it. Maybe the layer chick is pecking it bc she doesnt know ? Seems an illogical design flaw and Im sure thats not it.

Shell is totally fine. The egg itself is just small compared to the two laying hens i ahve. A marans and a leghorn(who has waterballoon issues still).

And that is a conundrum as well bc she had these calcium nubbins on the outside of ehr eggs right before this shell less business started.

Im trying to learn it all at once.

Maybe ill put a ton of straw down under the roost bars and see if i can save some like you said!! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom