My first quail hatch attempt. Update!

magsrags

Songster
11 Years
Aug 12, 2008
Staten Island NY
WOW.....talk about zipping out! In 30 minutes 10 of the 16 little peeps zipped right out, 1 after the other! I am waiting to see if 2 more piped eggs will make a break out before opening up my bator and placing them into the brooder.
How could I .....or should i .... let them sit in the bator?

I will send pics of thm hatching out in a bit!
TIA
Maggie

Last edited:
Finally, my DSL is working well enough to reply!

Okay, these are the most tried and true 'techniques' that I know of. This is a collaboration of things that I've done, with 'settings' like yours.

First off, it's better to lay the eggs on their sides, and gently 'roll' them. You do this by placing the palm of your hand on the eggs and moving them. No need to pick them up. True that some might get turned more/better with this method, but you reduce the risk of dropping one
ep.gif
It works very well, much better than carton hatching, from my experience.

Second, temp is the same as for chickens EXCEPT you need to lower the temp by 1 degree for the hatch, which would be days 16-18. Quail sometimes hatch early though, so you can lower the temp once they start hatching if you like. Many people stop turning them on day 14, since they often hatch on day 15, though not always.

Humdity should be fairly high, like 45-50% during incubation, then at least 65% for the hatch. Other than that, they are pretty easy, good luck!
fl.gif

thanks!
big_smile.png
This is the route I will take then and keep my fingers crossed. I am just waiting till sunday to set them....as I have 4 houdan eggs in the bator already and I am trying to get everything hatched out together and timed just right.
I have everything else lined up for them. Just gotta get them hatched right.

You'll do great! With Shelley's advice even a newbie like me can get the hang of it- I am following Shelleys directions as I also have a hova still air with no turner, and things are going great- it's day 12 today and things have gone much more smooth than I expected!

I was really nervous at first (waking up in the middle of the night just to check on the bator) but now I am just getting excited- and you will too- especially if you already have hatching and bator experience! (I had none!)

congrats on your decision to hatch some quail- you will love them!
thumbsup.gif

One thing I did just to ease my mind was mark the eggs on one side with a large "X" so when I set them "x" showing when I rolled with my hand it was easy to tell if I had missed any. Not sure if this is completely necessary but I am OCD a bit and so it gives me peace of mind to know that it's "x"s and turn to blanks...I had read about people marking the eggs and it sounded like a good idea.

**edited to mention the X markings...

Last edited:
Alright, I am on day 12 and so far 16 eggs are looking good and have air pockets. I stop turning on sunday and begin raising humidity.
fl.gif

Did someone say you can tell the males from the females of A&M by a knot/bump by their ears?
thankx....maggie

Once in the brooder, you can put in some empty toilet paper rools for them to play tunnel with, keeps them entertained.

Just checked my eggies and 5 little pips have magically appeared so far of the 16 in the bator.
I haven't hatched anything in AGEs and won't again for a long time..... This is gonna be exciting to see what comes out of this first quail adventure!
pop.gif

Back
Top Bottom