My first question about th meaties

I think we all know the big producers are getting the most bang for their buck! At our expense.
So I think it is safe to say the protein levels in their feed is PROBABLY the most economical use of protien for raising meat birds?
Now does that fit me? I am using a better feed(I think) and I know the birds are better taken care of. And I know it will cost more then $0.88 a pound.
If the birds required higher protein levels across the board or at the end of life, the industry would do that. I think many advances in animal husbandry came about because of the "INDUSTRY". It is up to us individuals to use that knowledge as it applies to our situations.

but my birds are not in a 1 sqft cage with food passing by them 24/7.
Industrial broiler chickens are not raised in cages and the only day that they have 24 hours of light (when they can eat) is the first day on the farm. Next are days with decreased light then they have an increasing light schedule as they age. Commercial producers would consider 12on/12off light programs totally in appropriate for the well being of the bird.

I go on the science based upon body builders.(You don't feed a body builder less protein to bulk him up).
Human body building science and muscle mass production in chickens is not the same thing. Their bodies will easily attain the maximum muscle mass obtainable on an adequate diet. No matter what you feed them and how much you work them out there is no way to obtain more muscle (meat). You can for sure increase the strength of that muscle and increase the muscle tone but "bulk them up", no. Unless you consider just getting them bigger overall to be "bulked-up." That is just pushing hard for gain. The industry does not overtax the systems in that manner. It is un profitable because it causes health problems and has a lower return on feed cost.

More exercise means more protein needed to bulk-up.
To support exercise more carbohydrates and fats are needed. Human or avian. Yes to build more muscle protein is needed - if the organism can produce it. Which a chicken cannot.

I have some very active 7 week-old 7-8 lb meaties running around my yard chasing bugs, eating grass, and enjoying freedom. That is something not included in that 50 years of research. If I chose to keep my birds in a cage or pen where they couldn't move and only had the option to eat, then I would probably follow that chart. On the contrary, my birds are vastly different. They are not the lazy bums everyone on here mentions, partly because I have never treated them like that, they burn calories. If there was a hint of stink with them, I would be the first person on here watching people raise them from afar because my wife would not allow the stench around the house. Like I said, this is what works for me and I am not saying the other ways are wrong.
Hey that is great! Please just don't parrot and promote the misconceptions and ignorance of the facts about the industry.

It amazes me that backyard poultry people will not use what they can learn from the industry. Some of it applies and some does not but as Mr. Spock said- "it is unwise not to consider all the possibilities".

I never parroted anything. I wrote what works for me. I NEVER said it was the right way, it is my way. I have never been one to follow a majority, I like to do things MY way. But hey, we are all entitled to our own opinion. I have friends who have raise meat birds, follow industry standard, have been around their meaties and they STINK! They are in the country with acres of land and they STINK! I am in an urban setting and mine do not smell. I am raising mine different than theirs. Guess what, mine don't stink and are packing on more weight in shorter time and are twice as active. Whatever I am doing is working and it is working for ME. In the meantime, I will look for your meatie thread and check your progress or lack there of...............................

There is a lot of really good information about poultry coming out of the universities that have agricultural colleges. There is no reason to not take advantage of that carefully gathered information.

Some of it doesn't apply to home raised chickens. I hope y'all are capable of sorting it out. Some of it can really help with optimizing the raising of the meat birds (or laying birds)

Seriously, if your (generic you, nobody specific) chicks are stinky, you aren't cleaning pens often enough. If birds have diarrhea, you (again generic) really ought to do something about it.

My opinion is that the meat tastes better when the birds get exercise and sunshine and eat some greenery and a few bugs. I put live culture yogurt in the drinking water whenever I see any chicks with stools that are too loose. If birds are actually ill, they get treated instead of my sitting around and complaining that they stink.

How you (generic you) take care of your birds makes an enormous difference in what your experience will be with the Cornish Cross.

I have always fed my meaties the higher protein turkey feed because that is what I could get. My local feed stores do not have broiler feed. The meaties do really well on it with few losses. I have always felt that trying to economize on feed with these birds is penny wise and pound foolish, but that's me.

I have always fed my meaties the higher protein turkey feed because that is what I could get. My local feed stores do not have broiler feed. The meaties do really well on it with few losses. I have always felt that trying to economize on feed with these birds is penny wise and pound foolish, but that's me.

Well I appreciate that thought, I really do. I have now done the math, and I come up with 8.00 a bird. Based on 100.00 for 50 birds shipped, and then 300.00 dollars for feed, based on 15.00 a bag for feed and 20 pounds of feed to get to butcher ready.

So now I need to tinker with cost of birds by looking at OTHER places than cackle AND look into the price of feed at the millers, which I haven't done.

I am a bit disheartened to think raising my own could cost MORE than buying them at aldi's for .85 a pound.

I appreciate all the conversation here.

There's another thread about raising them on the cheap where we are tossing around ideas that make it more cost effective and a more pleasant prospect all the way around. You might read up on that thread and see if alternative methods can net you a better bird for a better price.

Back
Top Bottom