my first roo question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jkraiderfan, Nov 30, 2009.

1. jkraiderfan

jkraiderfan Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2007
    sebastopol
    just got a three mo. old americana rooster just wondering if anyone knows about this breed? Are they mean noisy etc.? By noisy I just mean crowing all night long. I here roos sometimes in the distance at all hours. Did we make a mistake taking this guy home? He is very good looking though.

2. Luvs chickens

Luvs chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2009
    Massachusettes
    I have 2 and not too loud, crow on and off during the day but, I have heard an occasional 3am crow:D. maybe he is getting used to his new home.[​IMG]

3. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I've heard that it depends on the individual rooster. You'll just have to wait and see what this guy is like.

4. The Zoo

The Zoo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Hayward, CA
    I had an EE roo (rehomed him) and he wouldn't shut up. Crowed starting at 4am and didn't slow down till after lunch. Was just the way he was.

5. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    Chances are pretty good that if he hears the other roo's day or night, he will be crowing also. Just speaking from experience.

6. Cockadoodledon't

Cockadoodledon't Chillin' With My Peeps

Roosters are like children...all different.
    At some point you just understand that the Roo will crow when he feels like it....and sometimes even when he dont feel like it...

COCKADOODLEDOOOOOOOO!!!!![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    My Blue Wheaten starts crowing at the crack of dawn and crows 5 to 10 times per minute for about 20 minutes.

Hope my neighbors keep their windows closed or I'm going to have to confine all of them to the coop and not let them into the run until after sunrise.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by