My first scissor beak - please advise

cadeschicks

Songster
9 Years
Apr 9, 2012
I have a scissor beak chick for the first time and I am beside myself about what to do. She hatched on March 13 and looked normal at that time. When she was about 5 days old I noticed that she had developed a very slight misalignment in her beak. It was just barely noticeable, so I didn't think it would be an issue. Sadly, over the past week it has gotten progressively worse. I can't imagine that filing it down will make it any better.

To make matters worse, we are leaving town in a few days for a total of 10 days. I have a very good chicken sitter who I know will take good care of my babies and I know I need to alert her of this potential problem. However, as quickly as this seems to have progressed, I am worried this chick won't be able to eat on her own soon. If I were going to be at home I would probably just wait and see how she does. But being gone for 10 days, I don't want her to slowly start starving to death if it continues to worsen. What would you do? She seems fine and spunky right now. Would you tell the chicken sitter to keep a close eye on her or 'intervene' beforehand? 😭😭😭

scissor beak.jpg

From my understanding, it probably continue to worsen for a while. But also from my understanding, some chickens can eat just fine on their own, as long as the feed is crumble or wet feet to help them out. As long as it can still eat on its own and is gaining weight, you're still fine. Keep putting vitamins in the water. I would advise to weigh a couple healthy chicks daily, and weigh the cross beak. This will give you an idea on whether or not it's gaining weight at a comparable rate as its flockmates.

She hatched on March 13 and looked normal at that time. When she was about 5 days old I noticed that she had developed a very slight misalignment in her beak. It was just barely noticeable, so I didn't think it would be an issue. Sadly, over the past week it has gotten progressively worse.

To make matters worse, we are leaving town in a few days for a total of 10 days.

as quickly as this seems to have progressed, I am worried this chick won't be able to eat on her own soon. If I were going to be at home I would probably just wait and see how she does. But being gone for 10 days, I don't want her to slowly start starving to death if it continues to worsen.

So in 18 days from hatch, it got to the point in the picture?
And you are going to be gone for 10 days?

I agree that waiting to see how it goes would make sense if you were going to be home. But as you point out, you are NOT going to be home. I would probably cull the chick before leaving.

If you pick up several different chicks, does this one feel just as heavy as the other ones? If it is NOT just as heavy, then it is already having trouble getting enough to eat, and I would certainly cull it before leaving for 10 days.

(Unless you think your chicken sitter is really willing to fuss with it-- deep dish, wet chicken food, possibly separating it for meals, possible tube feeding or culling if it gets too bad.)

I have a scissor beak chick for the first time and I am beside myself about what to do. She hatched on March 13 and looked normal at that time. When she was about 5 days old I noticed that she had developed a very slight misalignment in her beak. It was just barely noticeable, so I didn't think it would be an issue. Sadly, over the past week it has gotten progressively worse. I can't imagine that filing it down will make it any better.

To make matters worse, we are leaving town in a few days for a total of 10 days. I have a very good chicken sitter who I know will take good care of my babies and I know I need to alert her of this potential problem. However, as quickly as this seems to have progressed, I am worried this chick won't be able to eat on her own soon. If I were going to be at home I would probably just wait and see how she does. But being gone for 10 days, I don't want her to slowly start starving to death if it continues to worsen. What would you do? She seems fine and spunky right now. Would you tell the chicken sitter to keep a close eye on her or 'intervene' beforehand? 😭😭😭

View attachment 2593461
She's an absolute doll! :love :yaMy sister, @CrazyCochin, had a cross beak baby, and I have a crossbeak roo. If it's the bottom beak, as in my sisters case, her's didn't make it past four months. :( But If it's the top beak, like my roo roo, and if she can move the bottom beak up and down, she should be fine!

She's an absolute doll! :love :yaMy sister, @CrazyCochin, had a cross beak baby, and I have a crossbeak roo. If it's the bottom beak, as in my sisters case, her's didn't make it past four months. :( But If it's the top beak, like my roo roo, and if she can move the bottom beak up and down, she should be fine!
Cause if she cant move the bottom beak to peck, you have to make them special wet chickie mush, that really helps!

Back
Top Bottom