My first shipped egg incubation was a fail

Had two eggs hatch on day 22. One died, think it was stuck as made a big hole in the end but no zipping as such. It was very active and vocal to start. By time I realised no breathing after humming whether to help and everywhere saying wait 24 hours, it was too late to help it. The second one I assisted as was having difficulties from what I saw had pipped in pointy end. Wasn’t gonna make same mistake twice! Have one seemingly healthy chick.

20 eggs set, 13 made to lockdown, and one chick.

Tapped on eggs and candled both light and water remaining ones today. Nothing. Opened four from little hole in top. One stunk, that got chucked. The other three no sign of life. Opened completely, one yolker (that ones shell was too dark to tell), and fully formed with only a little yolk sack on them. None internally pipped and very much no longer alive.

Temp 37.5 - 38.5 (though some nights I did see it dip to 37.2, will try incubating it in the polystyrene it came in next time).
Humidity 30-35% first 18 days, 60-65% during lockdown
Two different thermometers and a hygrometer to verify but not entirely sure how accurate anything is anymore.

I’m meant to be getting delivery of 37 eggs next week and I feel like I’ll just kill them! Now I’ve got one little lavender chick all on its lonesome :( we live in a place where the breeds I choose aren’t available for purchase so I have to ship eggs in. It’s a costly exercise it seems if this is the result!

On first glance, do you see anything glaringly wrong? Might autopsy the rest tomorrow when I remove little chick from incubator but only so much one can take in one day.
If the eggs are fertile you can’t blame shipping once the eggs show signs of life it’s on you . That’s the responsibility I take when receiving hatching eggs in the mail . Probably your incubator. That could be the only possible explanation also get 2 thermometers to check accuracy of the incubator you are using .

If the eggs are fertile you can’t blame shipping once the eggs show signs of life it’s on you . That’s the responsibility I take when receiving hatching eggs in the mail . Probably your incubator. That could be the only possible explanation also get 2 thermometers to check accuracy of the incubator you are using .

Back
Top Bottom