my first soft shell..

chicky gal1

Songster
10 Years
Apr 5, 2009
PA
just went out to tuck my girls in for the night and found my first soft shelled egg and another one on the ground (not in the nesting box - which has also never happened before). They free range for a few hours each day. I remember seeing a post some where about needing calcium maybe? any thoughts would be great!

Quote:
Were they shelless? With just the membrane? That sometimes happens and doesn't appear to have anything to do with them getting enough calcium. I get about one shelless a week. Weak shells are usually the sign they need more calcium. If the shelled eggs you get are fine, I wouldn't worry about them.

ya I would call them shelless. a perfect yoke inside, already cooked it up for them for tomorrow, but no hard shell on the outside. they have been laying for months now. weird? not to worry i guess?

Quote:
Grit in the feed doesn't have much to do with shelless eggs. More of an egg laying malfunction, instead of a dietary issue. Mine have an unlimited supply of granite grit (my driveway) and shelless eggs still show up.

Haven't seen any more, quess it was a fluke!
smile.png
Thanks for the tips, I did use the grit/oyster shells too.

Back
Top Bottom