1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

my first soft shell..

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicky gal1, Apr 23, 2009.

1. chicky gal1

chicky gal1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2009
    PA
    just went out to tuck my girls in for the night and found my first soft shelled egg and another one on the ground (not in the nesting box - which has also never happened before). They free range for a few hours each day. I remember seeing a post some where about needing calcium maybe? any thoughts would be great!

2. azelgin

azelgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    Quote:Were they shelless? With just the membrane? That sometimes happens and doesn't appear to have anything to do with them getting enough calcium. I get about one shelless a week. Weak shells are usually the sign they need more calcium. If the shelled eggs you get are fine, I wouldn't worry about them.

3. chicky gal1

Apr 5, 2009
    PA
    ya I would call them shelless. a perfect yoke inside, already cooked it up for them for tomorrow, but no hard shell on the outside. they have been laying for months now. weird? not to worry i guess?

4. buffkota

buffkota Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Make sure that you are mixing some grit with their feed and the problem should go away.

5. azelgin

azelgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    Quote:Grit in the feed doesn't have much to do with shelless eggs. More of an egg laying malfunction, instead of a dietary issue. Mine have an unlimited supply of granite grit (my driveway) and shelless eggs still show up.

6. chicky gal1

Apr 5, 2009
    PA
    Haven't seen any more, quess it was a fluke! [​IMG] Thanks for the tips, I did use the grit/oyster shells too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by