1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My First SWAP sale please help!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by dbolman, Oct 15, 2009.

1. dbolman

dbolman Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2009
    Holland, Mi
    I am going to a large sale/SWAP Saturday morning. I just talked to the guy and he said there is usually 50-80 vehicles selling all different birds, poultry, water fowl..e.t.c. CAN'T WAIT. I am looking to add some hens to my collection. Looking for Welsummer, Speckled, Light or Buff Brahmas and Barnevelders. If it is like horse auctions there are always things to watch out for. What should I beware of here? It is my first sale! Help!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

You will need to look over the general health of each bird. Check for mites around the head and vent and under the wings. Look at the poo to see that it is normal. See if there is any discharge from the eyes, nostrils or mouth. Listen for rattling in the breathing. Check comb and wattle for black spots (pox) or light color (possible worms).
    If you do get any birds, you will want to quarantine them from your other birds for up to 30 days to make sure you are not bringing in any disease to your flock. When you get home from the sale, change your clothes and shower before visiting your own birds so you don't spread anything to them from human contact with sale birds.
    If you are going to the swap and sale in Gainesville, we will see you there.

3. dbolman

dbolman Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2009
    Holland, Mi
    [​IMG] Thank you this was just the advice I was looking for. I am going to the sale in Hudsonville, Mi.[​IMG]

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    As with other livestock auctions, remember that even when an animal arrives there 100% healthy, it can easily catch something from other less-healthy animals at the sale (through the air, hands, shoes, etc).

In terms of looking a bird over, people often seem to overlook mites, lice, and scaly leg mites. Sometimes circumstances make it hard to check for them, but you can at least check as well as you can.

Of course those parasite problems are all curable, which is more than can be said of a lot of the diseases that auction birds can bring into your flock.

Good luck, have fun, be careful,

Pat

5. carriehelene

carriehelene Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2009
    Capital Region NY
    It's also a good idea to take a small bottle of hand-sanitizer with you. After you check out a bird, use the sanitizer before moving onto the next display. If everybody would do that, it might help stop the spread of illness between the displays. Obviously, it won't help with airborne illnesses, but I can't see where it would hurt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by