My first time - almost day old chick having problems.

McChick

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 30, 2007
Tennessee
We got 7 chicks yesterday from a friend that had just hatched. One of them is breathing REALLY hard and quick and it's eyes are closed. It's pretty much staying away from the others. We thought we'd lose it during the night. But it's still holding on............

Any words of wisdom for us? They have clean papers, water, feed, and heat. We're keeping them inside until the weather warms up. It was only 25 here in Tennessee this morning.

Also - is there any way to sex them this early?

Sounds like you are doing everything right...sometimes they have internal problems when they hatch and we lose them...try getting some sugar water down him, vits. & electrolytes, childrens liquid Poly Vi Sol drops in water or honey water..even unflavored gatorade....this might give him some energy.....my opinions....

he could have chilled just anything is possible...

no sexing reg. day olds....

Oh, darn. It's always tough to see a baby chick not doing well. Were the chicks hatched under a hen or in a 'bator?
Tuffoldhen has good ideas, you may also want to separate the chick if it is getting trampled by the others. Good luck.
hugs.gif

Awww.................thank you so much! I can understand nature taking it's course a little better than the kids.
smile.png

I'll try the sugar water. I don't have a way to the feed store till tomorrow. We were planning on picking up some electrolytes and antibiotics then.

They were hatched under the mom and then moved here. We got the call right after the first ones hatched so you can understand how new this is for us. Thank you so much for the help.

Well................the baby is still hangin in there. It's breathin through it's beak. Opening and closing it along with the quick intakes of breath. I gave it sugar water today and it has been up on it's feet on occasion. It's eyes still aren't really opening much, like it's sleeping. We'll just continue what we're doin and see what happens. The other chicks are doin pretty good with it for the most part. If they start pecking at it I'll move it. All the others are doin great.

If anyone has anything to add or try I'm still hoping something works and it pulls through! I'll try and post a picture in the morning.

Thank you to all who have helped.

You can keep it in a shoebox in the brooder where it can still get the heat and they can't peak at it but they can hear each other...just make sure you let it have sugar water near...

have you tried to give it water? all right i have heard you get it away from heat and get a spoon a put water in it and let him drink it he will be cooler and maybe stop breathing hard And feed it, hope it works!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
MORNING UPDATE..................

There has been no change in the baby. It's like it's gasping and struggling to breathe. It's real uncoordinated, but does get up every once in awhile. The eyes are still white, well I can't really tell if it's the eyelids or the actual eyes???

The other chicks still are accepting it. They kinds cuddle around it every so often. NONE of the other chicks are showing any of these signs. I tried to move it to it's own box yesterday and it went crazy chirping.

I've been giving it sugar water (honey and water) off and on since yesterday. It's like it can't breathe when it takes it. Then is okay after a minute.

I'm not sure if I'm just prolonging something or not??? It's doesn't seem any stronger, but also doesn't appear any weaker either.

Still hanging in there.......................

Back
Top Bottom