1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My first time ever incubating Quail eggs.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Breezy Optimist, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Breezy Optimist

Breezy Optimist Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2016
    United Kingdom
    @ JetCat - Ahhh thank you, i wondered why the eggs from both looked identical. I thought people were talking about two different types of Quail when they referred to them as either Japanese or Cortonix eggs. ;)

2. JetCat

JetCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2015
    Southeast Alabama
    Coturnix is the Genus, Japanese Quail (Coturnix japonica) is a species and is the most common

3. Breezy Optimist

Mar 31, 2016
    United Kingdom
    @JetCat - Thank you :) My bookmark list is getting longer and longer as i find out more info about Quails and incubating lol. So much information!

4. Jesusfreak101

Jesusfreak101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2015
    Texas
    My Coop
    Lol only a dozen. My husband is trying to control my obsession lol its not going so well for him lmao!! I now have 31 chickens, 2 ducks and possibly 12 quail. I plan on getting some either sheep or goats for milking more then likely sheep since they would be duel purpose. And some pigs and possibly a cow or two [​IMG]. we also have a garden lol sometimes i think he wonders what he got himself into when we got married lol.

5. Breezy Optimist

Mar 31, 2016
    United Kingdom
    @Jesusfreak101

lmao! wow, you really are addicted to all this then!

I only have a small place, and there's only me, so i have think small haha!

I already have a few animals, a hamster, a guinea pig, a cat, and a leopard gecko. They keep me busy enough :)

6. Jesusfreak101

Sep 2, 2015
    Texas
    My Coop
    Lol yeah the cats help me with the chickens lol they guard them so i dont have to and the dogs distracted the 3 year old while i tend to the three month old and the house. It wasnt until i talked to childhood friend i hadnt seen in years that i remembered i want to live on a ranch as a kid and turns out i got what i wanted lol. I amcjust hoping i dont get the eight kids i wanted back then not sure i could handle that and the ranch lmao!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
  7. Jesusfreak101

Sep 2, 2015
    Texas
    My Coop
    [​IMG] my beautiful soon to be momma.

8. Breezy Optimist

Mar 31, 2016
    United Kingdom
    Ok, so it's coming up on day 10 very soon. I've looked at all sorts of video's and pictures for candling Quail eggs. Anyone have tips from experience? Things to look out for? Any help would be greatly appreciated :) I have just bought a very bright LED torch for doing this with. And i mean VERY BRIGHT lol.

9. Breezy Optimist

Mar 31, 2016
    United Kingdom
    Awwww, so pretty!!! Sorry i never replied before i didn't get any notification you had posted this. What breed is she? She looks so adorable! :)

10. Jesusfreak101

Sep 2, 2015
    Texas
    My Coop
    Lol thats fine my phone does that as well. She was labels as a americana but she an easter egger she one of two her sister has a black beard and we also have a two month old one. This girl lays light tan eggs and her sister lays green/blue eggs some times they more green and other times they are more blue. They arent very human friendly i spent alot less time with them lol but the all cone when i whistle so thats makes it easy to keep track of them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by