My first time!!!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by calgal98, Jun 14, 2009.

1. calgal98

calgal98 Songster

hatching quail, that is. My first coturnix have started hatching! I have approx 200 eggs and the first are hatching! So cool. THey hatch so much more quickly than the chickens. I went out to feed and checked before. 40 minutes later there are 7 quail chicks out and moving around! So exciting! [​IMG]

2. kingmt

kingmt Songster

May 1, 2009
    Mason WV
    [​IMG] So cool. Congrats. [​IMG]

3. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. NancyDz

NancyDz Songster

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

What colors ?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  5. tbone

tbone Songster

Jun 4, 2009
    southern illinois
    congrats......

6. calgal98

calgal98 Songster

Pharoah and Tibetan. I've only seen one yellow chick yet, though.

7. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    if you have a yellow chick then that's not a pharoah or a tibetan [​IMG]

that'd be an A & M or a Golden does it have stripes? If so then its a golden. If it's pure yellow then that's an A & M which is a recessive color so that means the breeder has A& Ms and didn't list them in the sale. Makes me wonder what other colors you have.

BTW pharoah is not a color parsay, it's a type. Pharoah is the wild type and small size coturnix. Just like when you say "bobwhite" you mean the wild type and size, but Butlers are also bobwhites yet they ar eknown as butlers becuase they are a different variety (bigger ifi remember rightly).

Anywho just lettin ya know [​IMG] And congrats!

8. calgal98

calgal98 Songster

Well, thanks for letting me know!! I only have one yellow chick. It has a couple of darker marks (really small) on its head. I was told pharoah and tibetan so, being a total newbie, that was fine with me. I'm doing this for meat and eggs so not a biggie. I'm just eggcited to see chicks (shipped eggs) hatching. Its all good!![​IMG]

9. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:oh no no im not sayin that the A & ms are any less of quality hun im just saying that you got more colors than you were told which is cool! [​IMG]

Btw that chick is an a & M for sure [​IMG] will be a pure white bird with maybe a lil bit of brown or golden markings on its head where you see the markings at [​IMG]

10. calgal98

calgal98 Songster

I took it all good. I'll have to check back in my records. It may have been tuxedo and tibetan...Offhand I can't remember. I just know I've been glued to the incubator. Its magical! Vicki

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: