My first try at a Tractor

What a nice tractor. It looks very sensibly laid out, sturdy and visually appealing as well. Nicely done.

Ditto what other's have said about predators. Hardware cloth is pricey, but worth every penny for the peace of mind it will give you.

Nice job! I am interested to know how you attached the wheels to it. I am making a tractor as well and have no clue how they actually go on, ha ha! Right now I can just lift mine but it is getting a little heavy.

I recognise the "wire" as being the plastic kind. If you have preditors around, they will walk through that stuff. You will need a heavy gauge wire over the plastic to prevent loss of your babies.
If you do not have preditors...tell me where you live and I'll be moving in near you! ha ha..I build like Fort Knox!
Thank you for showing your project, it is a great job BTW.

Quote:
It was actually pretty simple, the wheels are from an old Push mower that a friend had, I took a long lag bolt that just fit inside the bearing with one flat washer on the outside and two flat washers on the inside. They go into the 2x2 on the inside of the plywood. I set it to have about 3/4 inch clearance below the "house" end of the tractor. To do it over again (And I may), I would attach a 2x4 or 4x4 to the outside of the tractor and bolt them that so the they would be out past the coop an inch or so to give more clearance while wheeling it around.

I really like it! I think you'll be happier long term with the wire and be glad you did it. A service door sounds great. I am a big fan of those, to make maintenance easier.

There are two things I can't tell from your pictures. Is the bottom of the solid housing portion a wire or wood floor? Do you lock them inside that portion at night or is that pop hole door left open at night. I was kind of wondering about how those would effect ventilation, winter weather, predators and the service door design. I think a lot!
lol.png

I just noticed that my coop matches the door on the garage, and the house door is red too, another happy accident.

I noticed that right away...I like it. Good Job, too bad about the opossum.

It is similar to one my DH built. I like the ramp w/the stairs. Ours just has the stairs, but they got the hang of it!​

Last edited:
Quote:
The whole bottom is open clear back under the coop part. The floor inside the coop is ply wood, covered with a rubber mat and wood shavings as bedding. I do plan to add a roost and a more perminant nest box. As for winter, I am hoping and praying that they will all get along, and my cochins and orpingtons can live together in my larger coop, but it will be tight in there. I do have another run that I can enclose with tarps and plastic sheeting to keep the severe wind out this winter and move the tractor in there as a last resort. I would really rather not do that though. And yes, I will add wire to the green stuff, Hopefully before the weekend. I am happy for all the feedback from everyone, helps me plan my next coop/tractor, SHHHHH don't tell the wife!!

Back
Top Bottom