My first try!! Day 18

It has pipped at the wrong end of the egg. They should pip at the fat end of the egg not the pointy end. It has more than likely pipped on day 19 as it needed oxygen. Usually they pip into the fat end of the egg and into the air sac on day 19 ish, this is called the internal pip. Once the oxygen becomes low and the co2 high this kicks them into making their external pip through the shell to gain more oxygen. As yours is pipped at the pointy end it has missed the internal pip out of the hatching process and will need more time to hatch. They can be internally pipped for up to 24 hours so you need to take this into account with this chick.

Have a read of this link as you may need to assist this chick to hatch ~https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching
You will need to give this chick as much time as you can, even though it has pipped it still needs to absorb the yolk amd blood vessels before hatching.

This is the little chick from earlier today

It has pipped at the wrong end of the egg. They should pip at the fat end of the egg not the pointy end. It has more than likely pipped on day 19 as it needed oxygen. Usually they pip into the fat end of the egg and into the air sac on day 19 ish, this is called the internal pip. Once the oxygen becomes low and the co2 high this kicks them into making their external pip through the shell to gain more oxygen. As yours is pipped at the pointy end it has missed the internal pip out of the hatching process and will need more time to hatch. They can be internally pipped for up to 24 hours so you need to take this into account with this chick.

Have a read of this link as you may need to assist this chick to hatch ~https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching
You will need to give this chick as much time as you can, even though it has pipped it still needs to absorb the yolk amd blood vessels before hatching.

This is the little chick that peeped earlier

Congrats on your 2 pips!! How exciting :)

I'm on day 10 of my first ever hatch and really glad to see your success. It's encouraging, especially because my eggs are laying on their sides too and I worried if they were supposed to be upright like some incubators hold them.

So many things to worry about with a 1st hatch
1f62c.png

They should be fine on their sides, are you hand turning? That's how I used to do mine before I got a new bator with turner. When I get to lockdown they come out and go back in on their sides to hatch. Good luck with your hatch :fl

Im on day 12 and 8 eggs developing and wiggling around on the insinde lol! Its so nerve wracking! I just cant wait xD

It sure is nerve wracking but the end results are so worth it when your chicks hatch, good luck with your eggs :fl

Here's my first chick that hatched overnight!!! Such a cutie and looks just like his dad!! Another one is zipping and another has pipped!

Back
Top Bottom