My first turkey egg and a few more from today

Quote:
I stand corrected I have 2 hens laying now. One of my firstimers and my 2yr old bourbon red Hanna. Woo Hoo!!
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

w00t! That's awesome! So I guess the same follows for turkeys with the real small first egg and then they get bigger as they go along. I'm still uber noob with these turkeys. Not an egg hath fallen from the bum of meh young sweet blue state... lol. You know I swear though after being around chickens and turkeys for a bit, I think we have the names backwards cause the turkeys sure are chicken of us and those chickens sure are some turkeys!

eta: Hey so are you gonna be hatching any of these eggs or do you eat or sell them to eat?

You are correct, A first time layer will have smaller eggs just like a pullet egg and will get bigger with time. Fertility is also usually not at its best with first season layers.

Quote:
If she's laying down, I don't think she wants you to pet her
wink.png
She likes you!

I found an egg in the BBW pen a few weeks ago, but right now I would need to catch it on it's way out if I didn't want it to be frozen. I envy you for the weather and the eggs!

I know my wife kids me about it all the time, evidently I am quite a catch for a turkey hen
smile.png
. My hen Hanna has moved on, she still lays for me anytime I come near, but she has chosen The General as her partner. Its okay I will always have the memories
lol.png
lol.png
. We finally finished the addition to the pen yesterday. The turkeys really seem to like the new digs. I had turkey eggs for dinner last night one was a double yolk. I never realized how thick the shells were.

Quote:
w00t! That's awesome! So I guess the same follows for turkeys with the real small first egg and then they get bigger as they go along. I'm still uber noob with these turkeys. Not an egg hath fallen from the bum of meh young sweet blue state... lol. You know I swear though after being around chickens and turkeys for a bit, I think we have the names backwards cause the turkeys sure are chicken of us and those chickens sure are some turkeys!

eta: Hey so are you gonna be hatching any of these eggs or do you eat or sell them to eat?

I will be eating these eggs. I plan on purchasing between 6-10 bronze eggs or poults if one of my hens goes broody. I want some meat birds for Thanksgiving time. I have 2 bourbon red hens, one eastern wild and one bronze based mutt hen that I will be keeping along with 2 eastern wild toms. These are my pets. The ones I raise this year will be dinner.

I argee both my toms are very chicken of anything moving. My bourbon red hens are much more brave, in fact my older bourbon loves me. No really she lays down every time I come around and lets me pet her.

We saw a big ol 4 yr old pet tom at the poultry show last weekend. Huge and struttin! I wouldn't mind having a pet turkey if I knew he wouldn't just up an fly away while lettin them free range lol. I've been digging the pit out to turn the coop into a big sand box for them and wanted to let my two out today but I didn't want this years turkey jerkey and thanksgiving dinner to split. Dunno if I can trust those two lol. If fertility isn't all that great then it looks like any potential broodies in the future might not get the chance to hatch a few. So how many a week you think you might get for the time being?

Quote:
I will be eating these eggs. I plan on purchasing between 6-10 bronze eggs or poults if one of my hens goes broody. I want some meat birds for Thanksgiving time. I have 2 bourbon red hens, one eastern wild and one bronze based mutt hen that I will be keeping along with 2 eastern wild toms. These are my pets. The ones I raise this year will be dinner.

I argee both my toms are very chicken of anything moving. My bourbon red hens are much more brave, in fact my older bourbon loves me. No really she lays down every time I come around and lets me pet her.

We saw a big ol 4 yr old pet tom at the poultry show last weekend. Huge and struttin! I wouldn't mind having a pet turkey if I knew he wouldn't just up an fly away while lettin them free range lol. I've been digging the pit out to turn the coop into a big sand box for them and wanted to let my two out today but I didn't want this years turkey jerkey and thanksgiving dinner to split. Dunno if I can trust those two lol. If fertility isn't all that great then it looks like any potential broodies in the future might not get the chance to hatch a few. So how many a week you think you might get for the time being?

Umm you lost me, what do you mean the fertility is not so great? How many eggs am i getting? right now im getting one from three of my hens about every other day or so.

Back
Top Bottom