My Flemish giant is pregnant and lives with chickens

eemilyh13

Hatching
Dec 4, 2020
my flemish giant we got from our school almost a year ago bc of covid lives with our chickens (she has her whole life) and we decided to breed her. We palpated a few days ago and we are pretty sure she is pregnant. My question is basically should we move her into a separate stall from the chickens or do you think that would stress her too much? If not what do you recommend we put in the chicken stall for her nesting box.. i’m trying to look for good answers and I want to put a cardboard box but my brother and dad are fighting me on it hard. I just want her babies to be protected from the chickens and Hazel(the rabbit) to be stress free and comfortable

Definitely separate them. Chickens are omnivores and you wouldn't want any accidents.
As for the nesting box, it's best to have it with a bottom and make sure you clean it out regularly. Straw or hay would work for bedding but does pull fur a few days before they have the kits to line the nest with.

I would move her now to a hutch with a proper nest box if possible. She will settle in before giving birth and you can control the conditions better with her confined to give everyone a better chance to survive.

I can't think of any situation where baby rabbits and seriously carnivorous birds in the same space is a good idea.

chicken-31701.jpg

I would move her now to a hutch with a proper nest box if possible. She will settle in before giving birth and you can control the conditions better with her confined to give everyone a better chance to survive.
we have a large stall (they live in a barn) I could move her too and she would still be able to go outside where she does everyday and I wanted to do that but thank you hopefully I can convince my dad!

You will NEED to move her. It may stress her out, but if she kits, the kits won't survive and she may not. Like humans, does bleed when they kit, chickens are often attached to red and peck. At the wrong time, they may injure her.

Dies don't sit on the nest like cats dogs and chickens do. They pluck hair and use it to insulate kits. They return to feed 2x a day, and stay out of the box the rest of the time. This leaves kits vulnerable to chickens who will likely eat them and kill them using the box for egg laying.

Also stressed doesare not unheard of eating a litter they think are in danger

Definitely separate them. Chickens are omnivores and you wouldn't want any accidents.
As for the nesting box, it's best to have it with a bottom and make sure you clean it out regularly. Straw or hay would work for bedding but does pull fur a few days before they have the kits to line the nest with.
I was going to fill the box with shavings and plenty of hay and try to insulate it so they will be warm

You will NEED to move her. It may stress her out, but if she kits, the kits won't survive and she may not. Like humans, does bleed when they kit, chickens are often attached to red and peck. At the wrong time, they may injure her.

Dies don't sit on the nest like cats dogs and chickens do. They pluck hair and use it to insulate kits. They return to feed 2x a day, and stay out of the box the rest of the time. This leaves kits vulnerable to chickens who will likely eat them and kill them using the box for egg laying.

Also stressed doesare not unheard of eating a litter they think are in danger
thank you!!! I 100% agree my dad wants to put a hole in the box only big enough for the rabbit but she’s a flemish so that hole would be big enough for the chickens to get in as well...

thank you!!! I 100% agree my dad wants to put a hole in the box only big enough for the rabbit but she’s a flemish so that hole would be big enough for the chickens to get in as well...
Unfortunately if a Flemish can get in, a bird definately can. They weasel all over my rabbit room.

What you could do, is alter a dog kennel for her worst case scenario so the birds can't get to get and she and the kits have their own space. A 4x4 cage would be okay if that has to happen

Unless the doe is confined you cannot be certain she will use the nest you provide, so that's another reason to move her.

Back
Top Bottom