Ted Brown

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Dec 12, 2018
near Shawville Quebec Canada
My Coop
My Coop
We had 20cm+ of snow last Thursday, on Saturday I registered that they were not going out to their run.

They are spoiled: have a large run that is roofed and part of a larger poleshed so west side is open but under the roof; tarped on the north side: clear plastic on 80%+ of the south front; attached to the coop so east side blocked from the weather. Snow came in through the open strip at the top of the clear plastic.

Normally they spend all day in the run.

I saw that the platform outside the pop door was covered in snow and had but one set of tracks. Cleared it off and the whole gang exited within a very few minutes.

Made me feel like a criminal for trapping them inside for more than a day.

Last edited:
Snow blew in and covered the run one day last week. It wasn't very cold, so I told them when I opened the door that they had to figure it out. I had seen them out and nibbling at the snow before, so I wasn't falling for the "I'm too delicate" shtick!

When it is seriously cold, though, like single digit highs, I will put a bowl of snow in the coop for them to eat along with their food, and leave the doors closed.

Snow blew in and covered the run one day last week. It wasn't very cold, so I told them when I opened the door that they had to figure it out. I had seen them out and nibbling at the snow before, so I wasn't falling for the "I'm too delicate" shtick!

Oh, a tough chick (ie you lol).

So did they figure it out or stay inside like my flock?

We refer to our hen house as “city chicks” as they wouldn’t be caught dead out in the snow. Snow is delicious to snack on from the safety of the coop though (they just stand in the door and eat the build up off their ladder), but only our Orpingtons and Wyandotte coops will go out in bad weather. Our goats can’t stand to get their hooves wet either, so the barn is just filled with some delicate flowers 🤗

Mine will not go out in the snow unless I clear the ramp and a path in the run. Living in South Dakota, some winters that is A LOT of shoveling! They will peck the snow off of my boots when I go into the coop...like some of them will swarm my feet and I have to gently push them away or they will trip me, lol.
I will give them a bowl of snow from now on, that might keep them off of me. Great tip @Sally PB !

Back
Top Bottom