My flock is crazy

Can we please see a pic of the run the chickens and the coop? I am not trying to be rude but chickens can not live off apple cores and corn do you need help trying to find a good food sourse? Its always hard having chickens for the first time and I would be happy to help you learn to take care of them please tell me if I sounded rude

I'm feeding them seeds,apple cores. Basic chicken fiid
Uhhh, I am, I jus didnt specify by "other chicken feed"
Hey everyone, as a professor who is used to deciphering what my students are trying to say when they write things, I think some of the confusion is that Garfell probably meant "seeds, apples cores, and basic chicken feed." This is backed up by the second statement. No need to get exasperated and accuse people of abusing their chickens or being ignorant.

Garfell, what people here want to know is what sort of basic chicken feed you are using (in addition to the treats of seeds and apple cores). Feed too low in protein may cause chickens to become cannibals, so they are worried about your picked-on hen.

Hey everyone, as a professor who is used to deciphering what my students are trying to say when they write things, I think some of the confusion is that Garfell probably meant "seeds, apples cores, and basic chicken feed." This is backed up by the second statement. No need to get exasperated and accuse people of abusing their chickens or being ignorant.

Garfell, what people here want to know is what sort of basic chicken feed you are using (in addition to the treats of seeds and apple cores). Feed too low in protein may cause chickens to become cannibals, so they are worried about your picked- on hen
i feed them chicken scratch,henny penny, corn, pumkin, and treats if they're not loud while im studying.

My flock is attacking this one spot on this certain chicken, everything ok with my flock
Garfell, have you looked over the chicken getting picked on? Does she have an injury there in that "one spot"? Chickens are very attracted to the color red and will often attack an injured flock mate. If there is an injury, many here spray BluKote on the affected area to get the other chickens to leave it alone until it heals. Or you might have to separate her.

If there is no injury, other causes could be:

- Molting. Sometimes flock mates mistake the new pinfeathers growing in to be something tasty. BluKote might help with that too until a hen grows in her new feathers. Molting happens this time of year.

- Not enough protein in feed. If you are feeding Henny Penny Layer feed, that is 14.5% protein, which is a bit lower than most people here like (16% - 20%). If you are feeding Henny Penny scratch, that is not a complete feed and only has 9% or so. The other treats and scratch you feed should be less than 10% of their diet.

- Not enough space is one of the biggest causes of bad behavior in chickens. That is why people are asking for pics of your set up and how big it is for how many chickens.

- Enough space, but not enough "clutter." Chickens have a pecking order and it is important for low ranking chickens to be able to get out of the way of high ranking ones. They need things to hide behind, climb on, etc.

People here are trying to help, but I'm sorry they got a little over zealous.

while the OP is definitely a troll, i’d suggest not pointing fingers with dirty hands.

let’s not forget you’re the one keeping 13 chickens in a 1x4 coop and small, muddy run.

your thread has a lot of similarities to this one.
i have no words :)
@The WinterWolf is trying though, and learning. Working on a budget is hard!
Thank you. it is pretty hard..
Staff has reviewed this thread after receiving reports.

Just a friendly reminder to keep things helpful and friendly.

BYC staff
got it. i never try to be rude, but it's hard to get emotions across a screen, especially when the subject is negative.

Back
Top Bottom