My flock.......

Ada06

Songster
Apr 26, 2020
Lansing, Michigan
I have been wanting to start a flock story for a while, I figured today was a good day to start it. So here we are.
Starting at the beginning, we go back 4.5 years ago. 10 year old me had just read about chickens, and I was hooked. But.. 10 year old's don't have a credit card, so that dream never went anywhere. I used to walk through TSC wishing a worker would give me a free chick lol.
Anyway fast-forward to 2020 my parents finally allow me to get chickens! I had been researching chickens for a long time so I thought I was a "professional" 🙄
We went to TSC I got 6 chicks: 5 "Golden Comets" and one "Olive Egger". My dad didn't want to get the Olive Egger but she was in a brooder by herself, so I had to get her. They were all sold as girls, which ended up being true (Thank God). I think the supposed Golden Comets are RIR mixed with Golden Comets or Golden Comet to Golden Comet. We set the brooder up in the garage, its an old medium sized dog cage with boards lining the wires for extra warmth and protection in case Olaf (the cat) and Beezus (the dog) were too curious (or hungry). Beezus is a border collie (herding dog) so she is very interested in the chicks, she would sit in front of the brooder for hours just watching them. Olaf never bothered them, just got excited when he heard them peep.

DSC_1004.JPG
DSC_0997.JPG
DSC_0998.JPG
DSC_0999.JPG

Day 3 of having the babies I had decided names- with a lot of input from the fam. We took them outside because it was a nice 68 degree windless, sunny day. Lots of pictures and everybody waiting inline to hold them. I kept Beezus locked up because I wasn't sure if she would be gentle enough.
DSC_1008.JPG

Olive Egger (Black one): Ollie
Far right yellow is Ramona. She finishes the book character set, Ramona and Beezus.
Left yellow is Bailey. The darkest is Cadbury Egg. Back with brown head is Freckles. The brown striped yellow, is Corona. She is named after the virus not the beer lol.
DSC_0001.JPG

Ollie was always skittish and hated human contact, so she ran off when people came near.
Solo picks coming next!

Attachments

• DSC_1009.JPG
    DSC_1009.JPG
    742.6 KB · Views: 10
I have been wanting to start a flock story for a while, I figured today was a good day to start it. So here we are.
Starting at the beginning, we go back 4.5 years ago. 10 year old me had just read about chickens, and I was hooked. But.. 10 year old's don't have a credit card, so that dream never went anywhere. I used to walk through TSC wishing a worker would give me a free chick lol.
Anyway fast-forward to 2020 my parents finally allow me to get chickens! I had been researching chickens for a long time so I thought I was a "professional" 🙄
We went to TSC I got 6 chicks: 5 "Golden Comets" and one "Olive Egger". My dad didn't want to get the Olive Egger but she was in a brooder by herself, so I had to get her. They were all sold as girls, which ended up being true (Thank God). I think the supposed Golden Comets are RIR mixed with Golden Comets or Golden Comet to Golden Comet. We set the brooder up in the garage, its an old medium sized dog cage with boards lining the wires for extra warmth and protection in case Olaf (the cat) and Beezus (the dog) were too curious (or hungry). Beezus is a border collie (herding dog) so she is very interested in the chicks, she would sit in front of the brooder for hours just watching them. Olaf never bothered them, just got excited when he heard them peep.

View attachment 2543819View attachment 2543823View attachment 2543832View attachment 2543834
I'll be watching this! Mine are coming on March 15th! I actually started a similar thread! I'm glad I found another likewise thinker! Can't wait to see these guys grow up fully! You can check mine out if you want as well! This is the kinda stuff I wanna see 😁😁

I'll be watching this! Mine are coming on March 15th! I actually started a similar thread! I'm glad I found another likewise thinker! Can't wait to see these guys grow up fully! You can check mine out if you want as well! This is the kinda stuff I wanna see 😁😁
Ooo exciting! I will go check it out. Oh my gosh. I am getting 10 more chicks on March 15th!!

Really!? What kinds? Where are you getting them from!? I may add some more cause the local farm store here is suppose to get theirs a day after I get mine lol (not good for me🤣)
Lol I am getting quite the assortment from Meyer hatchery, we are making the drive, I couldn't wait for them to arrive.
I am getting: 1 White Leghorn, 1 Golden laced Wyandotte, 1 silver laced Wyandotte, 1 blue splash Maran, 3 random layers, 1 Easter Egger, and 1 speckled Sussex. I wanted to have some different feathers in the flock. These chicks were kinda hard to tell apart, especially when the new feathers came in.

Lol I am getting quite the assortment from Meyer hatchery, we are making the drive, I couldn't wait for them to arrive.
I am getting: 1 White Leghorn, 1 Golden laced Wyandotte, 1 silver laced Wyandotte, 1 blue splash Maran, 3 random layers, 1 Easter Egger, and 1 speckled Sussex. I wanted to have some different feathers in the flock. These chicks were kinda hard to tell apart, especially when the new feathers came in.
Oh how exciting! I wish I lived close enough to a hatchery 😅 I'm going through MyPetChicken cause I believe they are the closest (ships from Ohio if I'm not mistaken)

I LOVE speckled Sussex they are my all time favorite chicken EVER 🤣 I'm getting 4 Barnevelders 1 roo 3 hens, two Black Australorps, 2 speckled sussex, and 2 Lavender Orpingtons.

I can't friggin WAIT :clap:ya:highfive:

Oh how exciting! I wish I lived close enough to a hatchery 😅 I'm going through MyPetChicken cause I believe they are the closest (ships from Ohio if I'm not mistaken)

I LOVE speckled Sussex they are my all time favorite chicken EVER 🤣 I'm getting 4 Barnevelders 1 roo 3 hens, two Black Australorps, 2 speckled sussex, and 2 Lavender Orpingtons.

I can't friggin WAIT :clap:ya:highfive:
OOOOOOOO!!! I seriously can't either!!!!!!!!!:wee:celebrate

Alright, so here are some chick pics I am realizing I didn't get EVERYBODY by themselves at this age.
Ramona
:
DSC_0005.JPG

Cadbury:
DSC_0011.JPG

Ramona + Corona
DSC_0006.JPG

Corona
DSC_0017.JPG

All but freckles.
DSC_0018.JPG

Ollie and Ramona
DSC_0177.JPG

Freckles was a wanderer, she was always running to discover new places.
The chicks loved playing, inside and outside.

Alright, so here are some chick pics I am realizing I didn't get EVERYBODY by themselves at this age.
Ramona
:View attachment 2546714
Cadbury: View attachment 2546716
Ramona + Corona
View attachment 2546715
CoronaView attachment 2546717
All but freckles.
View attachment 2546718
Ollie and Ramona
View attachment 2546722

Freckles was a wanderer, she was always running to discover new places.
The chicks loved playing, inside and outside.
They are VERY cute! The journey begins! 😁😁

Back
Top Bottom