my flock's got the pox...need confirmation on what to do

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fun monitor, Aug 12, 2008.

1. fun monitor

fun monitor Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    southern california
    Yep, nearly the whole flock has the dry pox. This is what I understand and how I will be "treating" from what I have read:

-treat open wounds (only one is that bad) with iodine or blu kote
    -supplement with AviaCharge - what is the non-McMurray name for that?
    -eliminate/spray for mosquitoes

We don't have a huge mosquito problem and we are very diligent about not leaving standing pools of water due to West Nile. There are too many birds to segregate - about half the flock is infected.

Anything else is appreciated! Being Mrs. Worst-Case-Scenario anyway, I'm picturing losing the whole flock.
  2. a2ms4chickens

a2ms4chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    I had a couple of birds that had wet-pox last year. They were separated from the rest of the flock, so it didn't spread.

I put iodine on their sores, and gave them vitamins/electrolytes. I had to deal with the canker in their mouths, also.

The pullet was a show bird, and were afraid we wouldn't be able to show her. However, the birds survived, and she took a blue ribbon at the fair in April.

Don't give up hope. It sounds like you have things under control.
  3. Ladysonja

Ladysonja Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Porter, Texas
    I found Dry Pox on one of my Barred Rocks Sunday/Monday this week.

From everything I have read and have been told thus far by other BYC'r, you are on the right path with your treatment plan.

I have read that the virus can hibernate for a long period of time and will run its course in about 7-10 days when the Poxs show up.

I purchased my birds from a feed store about two weeks ago and believe they were bitten by an infected mosquito before I brought them home and the Poxs are now showing up on 1 of my girls.

Dry Pox are not fatal, but be mindful of Wet Pox. It can be if the bird is unable to eat or drink.

Change waters twice a day and keep the coop/run as clean as possible.

Since you can not seperate the flock, it may be best to let the Dry Pox run it's course. From what I understand, the birds will not get it again.

I'm sure more BYC'rs will post and help with their suggestions. Good Luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by