My free chick from McMurray - What is it?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ibradly, Sep 25, 2009.

1. ibradly

ibradly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Hey everyone,

I received my chicks this morning from McMurray.
    25 Silver Laced Wyandottes
    and this guy in the pic below... My guess is either a Partridge Cochin or a Golden Laced Cochin. I don't see a standard size golden laced cochin, so I'm leaning towards the Partridge Cochin. Your thoughts?

[​IMG]

I also received a "packing peanut."

[​IMG]

2. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Awwwww! Tooo cute. I just saw some brand new gold laced standard cochin chicks- looked identical. I never saw my partridge ones as babies. Does your peanut have big cheeks? EE maybe. [​IMG]

3. promiselandfarm5

promiselandfarm5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Rome, GA
    If I had to guess on your packing peaunt.....Red Star-roo. They packed lots of those with our shipment last spring.

4. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Im going with Golden Campine. I got one of the silver ones in my order from Welp and it looked just like that. [​IMG]

5. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Its a partridge cochin.

Cant be a campine - feathered feet. Same goes for EE - from what I've seen, no hatchery sells EE's with feathered shanks.

I have no clue about the peanut.

Pretty chickies [​IMG]

6. chseeads

chseeads Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    Bloomington, Indiana
    I had two partridge cochin roos from McMurray in July and they weren't chipmunk striped like that. They were a dark brown all over.

7. wombat

wombat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    Penguin?

[​IMG]

8. Sallyschickens

Sallyschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    Puget Sound Baby!
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

9. ibradly

ibradly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Thanks for the responses so far.

I love the guessing game with the babies! I can definitely see the resemblance of my packing peanut to a Red Star sex-linked Roo on the McMurray website.

I went back and looked at almost every feather footed breed that McMurray sells. Now instead of a Cochin, I'm leaning towards maybe a Dark Brahma? Here is a link to McMurray's Dark Brahmas. If you click the image of the chick, they have that "chipmunk striping" as chseeads pointed out.

http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/product/dark_brahmas.html

10. Rodeoclown1189

Rodeoclown1189 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    East TN
    a Partridge cochin is usually a dark brown with a touch of a mahogany color near the face.... the Free rare breed you got most definitely looks like a dark Brahma chick
    check this link out too.... http://feathersite.com/Poultry/CGA/Brahma/BRKBrChix.html

and
    the peanut is probably a red sex link cockerel as in the names the sex-links are the easiest to sex so why not throw an easy roo in there sum where [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by