My Freecycle "Hen"

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by mangled, Aug 19, 2010.

1. mangled

mangled Chillin' With My Peeps

So, uh, when do you think she'll start to lay? [​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Hahahaha, any day now. You just hold your breath and wait for that first egg, LOL.
  3. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    Erm... any day now [​IMG]

Hey, if a rooster lays an egg on the top of a barn, which side will it roll down???

Neither side - roosters don't lay eggs!!! [​IMG]
  4. jaimslee4u

jaimslee4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Wow you really can get just about anything on "free cycle" now - They even have hens disguised as roosters
  5. GlitterKitty

GlitterKitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
  6. mangled

mangled Chillin' With My Peeps

He's gorgeous, though. I was so pleased to see how nice he was. I knew he was a roo when I went to get him, I could hear him crowing when I spoke with her on the phone. I tried to tell her it was a rooster, and she said, quite seriously, oh, no. I only ordered hens.

I simply said Ok, thanks! And left. My 7 year old asks me once we get in the van, Momma, you know that's a rooster, right? [​IMG]

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

8. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

This is way worse than my older neighbor whom I adore with 40 50 something chickens - he can't tell a cockeral and a pullet apart until the cockeral crows and he sees it [​IMG] - I was telling him the other day ' oh 3 of the 6 barred rocks are roosters you know?' he's like 'oh really? You sure they all look alike to me ...' bout that time the biggested 15 week old BR comes strolling by and COCKADOODLEDOO - Mr. Henry doesn't miss a step and continues "...well yep that'en there is a rooster." [​IMG]

I went and bought some chickens a couple years ago form a lady - very nice white leghorns and the woman said they were young cockerals right...So I go and figure I would buy them (2$ a piece - shoot good eatin' there for cheap [​IMG] ) and well I take one look at them and tell the woman "Those are pullets" Woman: "Whats a pullet?" Me: "A young hen" Woman: "Oh no ma'am them there have them big old red ugly combs and waddage (her word now) of roosters!" I try to explain to her that ' no ma'am those ARE GIRLS - " woman started to get mad and asked me well 'do you want them or not? that will be 20$ for all of them" [​IMG] I just shrugged and figured well I got a dozen point of lay pullets for 20$ (she said 10 but it was acutally 13 she packed up...soooo....) and shoot I remember having eggs out the TAIL END that year - till I finally sold 6 of those hens for a 60$ to a farmer up the road. lol. Moral : Some people are too stuck in their ways and blind to the facts but others get the great spoils and a good laugh [​IMG]
  9. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Quote:Too Too Cute! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
  10. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    My Coop
    Real nice lookin' bird. Wow, free too! [​IMG] Were you surprised when he took his hen costume off? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by