My Friendliest Chicken Died Today - I'm So sad

I can - I think my main concern is she will be picked on. The reason I moved her out to begin with is the feathers on her head and neck were all gone (she did not have mites or worms) so I wondered if her flock mates plucked them out...they grew back in fine when she lived with Derp. She a very shy and gentle bird. I guess I will try her back in the coop in a few days (when I'm sure her sour crop is all gone) and watch her carefully...

Here is a photo of Domino with Derp in their private little coop and run. I let them out to free range each day and it seems to work well as a convalescent home. I have found a bantam frizzled coachin for sale locally that I can get as a roommate for Domino if need be. I have been looking for a Frizzled Coachin for a long time so either way it would work.

hello
my heart goes out to you.
we had three ex batt hens last may and betty died today. she had a hugh run food and a coup with lots of straw but seemed to keep getting infections which the vet gave us antibiotics for.
chickens are the sweetest little animals and all have different little ways that we all get to love.
I guess the blessing is for the time we and you had them they had the best life and lots of love and no one can ask for more than that.

take care

So very sorry for your losses.
sad.png
It is soooo hard.
Jflanny, I think that Domino is molting. I had a girl who had sour crop this fall, then immediately went into a molt most likely brought on by her sickness. She lost the feathers on her head and neck, and also some all around here and there, and her tail feathers. With the amount of feathers on the ground in the small coop she shared with derp I would say she is molting and once her sickness is cleared up you can stick her back out there with the others, but keep an eye out for issues as she has not been with them for a while. Can the other girls see her right now from where they are in their coop?
here is a couple of photos of her while she was molting (SLW):

Sheez I'm so sorry - it really is so sad. I couldn't believe it but Domino passed away as we'll. she has had health issues for a long time but it almost seems like after Derp died she just gave up. :(

Back
Top Bottom