My frill

Parkourpeep

In the Brooder
Oct 20, 2015
I have one male oriential frill pigeon whose name is a Chip, I've had him for 3 weeks and he finally ate out of my hand today, 1 and 1/2 week earlier his mate escaped and flew away, right now he lives with my 16 chickens who have accepted him, I plan on getting him a mate again, but i have several questions, I planned on getting another breeding pair to go with Chip and his mate, would that be okay? And if the pair were homing pigeons, and I let them out to free fly, would the frill pair follow the homers back,I know frills don't have homing abilities so yeah. Also is it okay to just have all frill pigeons but let them out to free fly? Can I put flight harnesses on my pigeons so they can't fly away? If possible plz answer all or most of these, sorry for all the questions, I'm still relatively new.

I have one male oriential frill pigeon whose name is a Chip, I've had him for 3 weeks and he finally ate out of my hand today, 1 and 1/2 week earlier his mate escaped and flew away, right now he lives with my 16 chickens who have accepted him, I plan on getting him a mate again, but i have several questions, I planned on getting another breeding pair to go with Chip and his mate, would that be okay? Yes, if you have the room.And if the pair were homing pigeons If you get homers your best bet is to get very young birds. Older birds, most likely, would return to their original home; even after a very long period of time., and I let them out to free fly, would the frill pair follow the homers back,I know frills don't have homing abilities Many breeds, other than homers, have the instinct to return to their original home-just not as strong as homers. so yeah. Also is it okay to just have all frill pigeons but let them out to free fly Allowing them to fly free is hazardous as they might leave or end up lunch to predators.? Can I put flight harnesses on my pigeons so they can't fly away? If possible plz answer all or most of these, sorry for all the questions, I'm still relatively new.

If you have more than one breed they will cross and produce hybrids.

Can I put flight harnesses on my pigeons so they can't fly away? If possible plz answer all or most of these, sorry for all the questions, I'm still relatively new.
I found what worked for me best was to fly the birds hungry (12 hours without food) for the first few outings.

I have heard of wetting the flight feathers with a soapy solution to impede flight. I have never use that personally. Doing this will put them at greater risk to falling to a predator in my opinion.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom