My Gander is a Bully.

Butterflyhigh

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 1, 2013
I have one Embden gander. He's started chasing my kids and any visitors that stop by. He even chases their car's down the driveway. He will start hissing and come running towards me as well but he always stops short of reaching me, turns and walks away. I must be at the top of the pecking order.

What can I do?? Seriously, my nieces and nephew are scared to death to come over. Goose nearly had my sister cornered today in the front yard and sometimes my 4 year old is trapped in the car because Goose is just waiting for her outside of the car door. It is a bit comical to see, but it's becoming a real problem.

Could this be because it is Spring mating time? If he had a mate would he be less willing to interact with people? I think he is approaching one year old. Could it be he is maturing and just naturally an aggressive goose? I really really like him, but at this rate I may need to find another farm for him to live at OR someone who would want a goose in the freezer. :(

EDIT: I forgot to add that he is a single goose in a flock of muscovies. I have been looking for a mate for him but I'm not sure if I would end up with TWO geese bullying my visitors rather than the one. Or maybe having a mate will calm him down?

Last edited:
You need to swoop him up holding his wing close to his body and hold him to the fround for 5 minutes to teach him that is a No No to chase people or cars! It is breeding season and he is becoming macho man and needs to show him he is not the only macho one around.. He will get worse if you do nothing about it....

I will do that! Will it make him back off visitors and kids too, or just me? It's the other people who he really goes after. I am still looking for a female for him...will that cause him to act better or worse???

I will do that! Will it make him back off visitors and kids too, or just me? It's the other people who he really goes after. I am still looking for a female for him...will that cause him to act better or worse???
Hi, Fly. He´d be much happier with a goose, but he´ll still be a stroppy so-and-so in breeding season,..Always good to tell people not to run away from him, as this gives him added 'power' and confidence. They could carry a stick with them. I always have a broom stick available here for my mum who´s 83 and loves to go down and visit my 28 geese and ganders without a hitch.They seem to be born with an aversion to sticks. Is it possible to have a fenced-in area for him and his Mrs to stay in just in the breeding season? After that he should return to normal, although the stick thing will always be a good idea for visitors. Hope you have success.

I don't think you can teach him that it's wrong to chase people or cars. But you can teach people how to act around him. Or, even better, put up a fence.

The stick may be a good idea, but I'm worried about his safety. It's only meant to scare him, not to hit him with.

I read somewhere that an umbrella works really well, especially the pop-open purse type. Point it at the goose, press the release button and he should run from the big, scary, colorful thing that suddenly appeared.

Keep in mind, he's not really a bully. He's trying to chase away what he perceives as potential threats - that's what ganders do. A female for him is a very good idea, as a lonely goose is a scared goose.

I don't think you can teach him that it's wrong to chase people or cars. But you can teach people how to act around him. Or, even better, put up a fence.

The stick may be a good idea, but I'm worried about his safety. It's only meant to scare him, not to hit him with.

I read somewhere that an umbrella works really well, especially the pop-open purse type. Point it at the goose, press the release button and he should run from the big, scary, colorful thing that suddenly appeared.

Keep in mind, he's not really a bully. He's trying to chase away what he perceives as potential threats - that's what ganders do. A female for him is a very good idea, as a lonely goose is a scared goose.
Very good points here. And no, the stick isn´t to hit, nor even to scare him, really. they just don´t like sticks so if you carry it with you at an angle on the side nearest the gander, he´ll see it and if he approaches, just move it a bit toward him and he should back off. A small child can herd a large flock of geese using a stick. It´s quite amazing.

Just a funny idea to add... you get get one of those kiddies umbrellas that open up to look like a big frog or something! Now that´d scare him off, for sure!
lol.png

You´d have more visitors, just so they could use the umbrella!!

I think all of the above points are great!

I wish I could put up a fence, but the yard area is several acres. I use a stick when corralling him and the ducks, but I LOVE the umbrella idea. Luckily I live on a slow driving street because he has started standing by the road hissing at passing cars! He is funny, smart, beautiful, and a really cool addition to the farm...but he also causes a lot of trouble. I only just identified that Goose is indeed a gander. Needed to figure that out before looking for a mate. I have put the word out on a female so hopefully he will have a partner soon.

I guess I will tell my sister to arm herself with an umbrella. I think the kids would actually get quite a kick out of poping it out toward Goose.

Thanks all for the advise!

I think all of the above points are great!

I wish I could put up a fence, but the yard area is several acres. I use a stick when corralling him and the ducks, but I LOVE the umbrella idea. Luckily I live on a slow driving street because he has started standing by the road hissing at passing cars! He is funny, smart, beautiful, and a really cool addition to the farm...but he also causes a lot of trouble. I only just identified that Goose is indeed a gander. Needed to figure that out before looking for a mate. I have put the word out on a female so hopefully he will have a partner soon.

I guess I will tell my sister to arm herself with an umbrella. I think the kids would actually get quite a kick out of poping it out toward Goose.

Thanks all for the advise!
OK. Well, I hope you soon find goose (Guss?)
tongue.png
a goose. I´m sure he´ll be a bit easier to deal with once he gets a mate. At least, he should stay around her instead of people so much.

Back
Top Bottom