1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

my garden is just about wiped out

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by AhBee01, Jul 24, 2008.

1. AhBee01

AhBee01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    yo. ohio
    We had a hail storm Tues night, high winds and hail. Although the hail was only pea size it came down so very hard. The plants that didn't get ripped out from the wind, the hail ripped the leaves, and pelted the veggies.
    I'm so sick! The tomatoes already have some kind of leaf mold, and now this. Everything was affected.
    I hope somethings can be saved, but I just don't know.[​IMG]
    I was looking forward to canning lots of salsa and green beans this year.
    Brenda

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Oh Brenda. IM so sorry to hear this. It has not been a good year for us gardeners. Between cold, rain, heat, bugs. I hope something can be saved.

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    It hit here with severe storms...Lost a huge pear tree in the yard and damage our veggie garden as well, not sure the corn will survive....Lots of downed trees in town too.....

So floating in the same boat...so sorry....

4. kbarrett

kbarrett Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2007
    PA
    I'm sorry to hear that! Seeing all your hard work get battered must be terrible....I know how much joy I get out of mine. [​IMG]

I think you should go get yourself another pack of greenbean seeds & start again..my neighbor just yanked her finished pea plants out & started more beans!

It's worth a try...

5. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Let things sit for a day or three and see what happens. Plants are often tougher than we give them credit for. Even if the vines are trashed, the beans may send up bunches of shoots from the roots.

Don't know what to tell you about the maters. Maybe pick off the molded leaves and then wait and see on them, too. I know if they are bent over to the ground you can cover the trunks with dirt. They will send roots growing from every joint on the trunk and you could end up with a tomato forest! But you may have to get something from the garden section of your local store to fight the mold...

6. AhBee01

AhBee01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    yo. ohio
    Thanks everyone, we are leaving for the weekend and will check on the garden when we come home!
    I did pick off all the leaves on the maters that looked spotted. I will see if the maters rot from all the bruising!
    I hope we have some kind of harvest, my mouth is watering waiting for our first mater!!!
    Thanks again
    Brenda

7. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Oh, what a shame! Some years the weather is just really hard on a garden. I hope it's looking a little better when you get home, after the weekend.

Honestly, when I read the title of this post, I thought you were going to say that your chickens got into the garden and ate it! My girls were naughty last week and ate all the chard. [​IMG]

8. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I'm so sorry...

9. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    WOW! Hail in July? It still averages 100 down here.

10. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG] I'm sorry - I too lost a ton of plants right in the beginning of the season from hail...
    Now its the grasshoppers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by