My geese are dissapearing without a trace! What could it be?

You have a predator, probably a larger one capable of taking down a goose. Coyotes, large raccoons, dogs, bald eagles
sad.png
I'm very sorry
sad.png

I have lost full grown big turkeys without a trace too. I have great horn owls, coyotes, bob cats, and skunks. I have caught coyotes taking ducks over our 6 foot chain link fence. Some times they have dug in too. When wild dogs come they just kill for fun and leave a mess. I lock everyone in at night and have them double fenced in now. So far no loses. My neighbors pit bull dug in the other day. I was lucky my daughters puppy was not outside or even my Grandson. He has killed before and does not let go. I don't want to start any fights with the neighbors but they need to keep that dog inside.

I have had the same issue with my geese and ducks for years. I only found feathers once, out of 12 losses! I have coyotes, owls, hawks, raccoons, and scariest of all mountain lions. I feel horrible, but the longest any of my ducks have lived is 3.5 years.
hit.gif
(They live on a pond in our back yard)

Yep, some kind of predator you have in your neck of the woods. When I had geese, I lost 3 of my 6 to foxes and it was broad daylight, they just disappeared without a trace, not even a feather left behind. Foxes are the main problem here in Australia for me and my geese liked to wander over our property which is 3/4 bush on 44 acres.

Fox are the worst here. Actualy We thought We were doing good on our duck's.We lost one of our oldest Mallard drakes a bout a week ago.The Dummie's wont go back in to shelter but are basicaly right in front of house at horse stall.DH did a count today and sure enough we missing One of our 2 cayuga's, one Big pekin, and 3 young mallard.The dog's helped out this eve getting them rounded into the fenced chicken yard so hope they will be safe in there.Fox can make a few kill in one night as they usualy bury the prey for later eating.We didn't find any feather's or anything here again since We lost these so most likely Coyote or Fox and I did see coyote a few week's ago and neighbor that live's about one mile across ridge they have seen 2 over there also.Thinking about trap dunno about coyote never had any luck trapping fox just skunk, possum's and coon's.They have a nice trap at TSC.You actualy put a live chicken or bird etc. in the back but the predator cant get them.I know It seem's a bit tramatizing to the animal but at least in the long run you have the Ulgly trapped and the animal is unharmed.We have a havahart trap but they only get the smaller stuff.We have something here I have never heard before daughter comes home at like 2 am or something she rattled me out of bed a couple night's ago
hide.gif
some animal screaming or something.Got my gun loaded and waiting but Gosh ya gotta sleep sometime.

FOX! I had the same experience last year. Several chickens and two geese. I actually saw him go after my chickens. He/She always came around in the late afternoon - around 4. Haven't seen him this season. I've heard coyotes though and usually they don't like to share territory. The fox may have moved on. The coyotes have died out due to mange - their population is now building back. The fox population came back a little quicker.

Sorry about your losses. Good Luck. I was given some great advice about trapping fox - but it is pretty hard to catch the darn things.

Joni

Sorry for your loss.
People can greatly increase their birds safely by keeping them
in predator proof shelters at night or by having a livestock guard dog
(like a Great Pyrenees) that lives with your livestock 24/7.

Back
Top Bottom