My Geese aren't breeding :(

dirtygum

Chirping
Feb 12, 2011
4 years ago I purchased 6 African Geese. It resulted in 2 ganders and 4 female geese. All was going well for a while. My ganders and females had paired off. Then disaster struck...Coyotes killed all but 1 gander and 2 geese. I came home from work to carnage all over my lawn and a coyote leaving the property. Aside from being very sad and thus putting up fencing so that I won't have anymore predator problems, my geese no longer mate. They don't even show any sign or interest. they walk around their enclosure together along with 6 ducks, but I never see them mating nor do I have any fertile eggs. Anyone have any suggestions? Are they too old? It doesn't seem like 4 years to a goose should be too old...Do they miss their old mates? should I buy some more to introduce to the flock? any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Give them a wading pool or water trough. They like to mate in the water. My brown chinese started "romancing" last week and they have 1 egg in their little nest house. I thought it odd the male kept looking in the house and then realized he was checking out the egg!

Give em time. It is just starting to thaw out here in Indiana and with the longer daylight hours it will trigger them to get busy.... good luck!

How recent was the attack?

I'm not sure about it, but if it JUST happened, maybe they are not feeling secure? If it was some months or years since then, I'd have to wonder another cause. Are you SURE of the sex of the remaining birds?

But first yes, I'd wonder if the attack was VERY recent. It makes sense to me that such a trauma could put them off for a short time, but I'd expect them to get over it.

If the loss of the other birds happened after last breeding season, they might not be 'in the mood' yet, it's still early in the season. For instance, some of my sebastopols are showing interest and the ganders are starting to act more protective, but my dewlap toulouse are not yet acting like it's time to breed.

Quote:
According to Konrad Lorenz geese can grieve for a long time. And according to a breeder I know, any disturbances or traumas can mess up their breeding for months.

Good to know. I hope I was coming across as speculating, and not as if I KNOW. Mine never had losses to breeding birds (only younger birds). But I meant it just seems reasonable to me that geese could be affected by a trauma. Thanks for the additional info.
smile.png

Thank you, all of you for your input. This spring will mark the "2nd" year mark since the disaster. I do have a little pond for them which they used to use ( when it was warm) to wade around in. Maybe you're right and I should actually have the remaining geese DNA tested for male or female. I guess I had just assumed that because one of them had a particularly large knob on it's head that it was a male. Plus it is the biggest of the remaining geese. This spring will tell. It is currently 18 deg. here, but the days are getting longer. If I still don't see any activity by April then I know that something is not quite right..lol...None of them have paired off at all since the traumatic episode. Thanks again for the insight. I'll keep my eyes peeled. Is there any sure way of telling sex in African Geese?

I'm so sorry you had to go through that!
hugs.gif
Many of us have been there, too, with stray/loose dogs and other predators. I decided I didn't ever want to have that problem again, and I was very blessed at the time to have free access to some panels of tool cage material. We called it Fort Embden Toulouse (those were mt first here). We covered that with 2x4" welded wire and electrified the outside and top. Used roof flashing below ground so nothing can dig under withou getting torn up. Nothing can get in at night. Fortunately we are both here full-time now. My rabbits live indoors and do not go outside without supervision. They have 20'x20' garden of their own with good fence and bird netting & shade cloth in the spring, summer, and fall.
If your birds are free-ranging, you may consider building them a little "fort" of their own. Geese don't forget anything and they've been severely traumatized. That experience will always be with them. If they have a place where they have water to mate in, and they can feel absolutely safe, they will probably start again. Vent-sexing is the most absolute means of sexing. Try it with your gander. There is info on this site as to techniques. His is a mature male and you should have no trouble at all assuring yourself of the fact. It's still pretty cold where you are, too, so they may not be in a hurry. The temperatures here have thrown my birds off. Good luck!

I wonder if they want out; how large is the fenced holding area....I know Lucy is not happy until out free ranging; she always starts off with wing flapping a big honk
wink.png
then starts her day getting a bite to eat/drink then off exploring...until night time, then it's back in the coop/fence.

The fenced enclosure is actually quite large. But unless I'm home I don't let them out because of my coyote problem. They're very smart and they round up their duck companions and go inside the barn for the evening. Then I let them out in their fenced area during the day while I'm working. If I'm home I let them free range around the whole yard, but I always keep a watchful eye. The original coyote attack happened around 11:00 am. My geese never stray far from the barn anymore. They used to walk down my driveway and visit my neighbors who would feed them some table scraps and sunflower seeds. But they don't do that anymore
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom