My Geese had a visitor

Discussion in 'Geese' started by bizzeeb60, May 8, 2009.

1. bizzeeb60

bizzeeb60 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2008
    Frostproof, FL
    I guess my neighbors peahen decided to pay Bonnie & Clyde a visit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

she has been flying over into our yeard for the past several days ( I guess she likes our pond and property better) LOL

2. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Is the neighbor's peahen a lone peafowl? If so she may be at your place for the company. Better Food? She should not be attracted to a male that does not display but she just might be horny.

3. bizzeeb60

Apr 8, 2008
    Frostproof, FL
    We thought that the neighbor had a pair (peacock & peahen) but a predator may have gotten the male.
    Anyhow, I think she is coming over for the company and of course the fact that we have a better food/water source. Since we are a Certified Wildlife Habitat, there is plenty of both in our yard.
    Bonnie got a little miffed at her though when she decided to eat some of her food, which is right next to the "GOOSE COOP" where she was sitting on her eggs at the time.

By the way, Bonnie has not laid anymore eggs in the pond that I know of, she has been using the coop, now our only problem is that something (probably a raccoon) has been going in and taking some of the eggs. We will have to apparently put up a small enclosure around the coop and make them stay inside during the night to keep the predators out.

Oh and how long does it take for the eggs to hatch if she sets on them daily?

4. goosedragon

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    I think it is around 30 days with some variation due to the size of the breed with heavier =longer. If I am wrong someone is sure to correct me. [​IMG]

5. bizzeeb60

Apr 8, 2008
    Frostproof, FL
    Thank you. You again have been very helpful. Now if I can keep the raccoons from stealing them!

6. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

The 'coons steal the eggs but don't bother your geese? wow... surprising.

7. goosedragon

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:Sounds more like a possum to me, I used to bait my live trap with eggs to catch possum, marshmellows for coons.

8. bizzeeb60

Apr 8, 2008
    Frostproof, FL
    Quote:I think that is because hey are not "sleeping" in the coop, until the last day or two when she finally started to spend more time in it.

Maybe she has realized that she needs to keep watch over the eggs more closly

9. DiVon80

DiVon80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Pearl River,Louisiana
    Quote:I think those geese will give the coon a run for his money if he tries to get there eggs. I accidently walked in my uncles yard where the geese were, they had a nest and wow!!! They came at me like flying ariplanes just a honking. I thought they were gonna kill me! Probably would have. I ran for my life. All I could say was WOW! They don't go silly at night like chickens. They are up.! [​IMG]

10. DuckLady

DuckLady ~~~Administrator~~~BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Raccoons will tear a goose to shreds.

If she is setting, best try to get her to move or build predator proof barrier around her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by