My geese have started eating my chicken eggs! How do I stop them?

Mary Coleman

Chirping
7 Years
Sep 22, 2012
North Eastern Oregon
My hens began laying about a month ago and we were getting about three eggs a day then suddenly we weren't getting any eggs at all. I placed an egg in the middle of the coop as a test and waited. Eventually my geese came wobbling along and start chowing down on the egg! Since then I've caught them eating eggs two other times and I dont know how to stop them. Apparently my geese are the only geese who eat eggs because I cannot find anything online to help me. Ive heard of people hollowing out an egg and filling it with mustard to stop chickens from eating their eggs, but would that work for geese? Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

can you block off the chickens nest boxes and make openings that only the chickens can fit through. then the geese wont be able to eat any eggs

I can try and get the nest boxes off the ground. I dont know why I didnt think of that before *duh* :rolleyes: As far as geese go, is it a common thing for them to eat chicken eggs? And its only chicken eggs. They never eat their own eggs...

Just adding for any other late google searchers.... geese DO eat chicken eggs. I can’t move nesting boxes but I’m moving the flock and leaving the geese in what will become the garden. At least the little thieves also alert us to predators at night. Our dog didn’t. 😑

Back
Top Bottom