my German Shepherd killed 3 of my hens

Dogs are wolves! and chicken and wolves don't mix together! I am sorry for your loss but you must remember to separate them.

Last edited:
The best way is to manage your flock and your dog. My Chickens, Turkeys, Sheep and Goats are in my fenced off "Back 40". My dogs run in my side yard. They will not have to opportunity to chase and/or kill anything.
shock collars create more problems then they solve unless your timing is perfect. I suggest you take a couple of private lessons from an instructor who knows what he/she is doing.

I have to tread lightly, there was just a topic about this last week the mods shut down....

Anyway the shock collar will work if you do it right, the dog can never associate you with the shock. Never let him see the button, they learn what it is extremely fast and will act right until your not watching. It may take a few days of constant supervision but it should work.

If that doesn't work or you don't want the expense from tractor supply( they are $100 dollars there) I got a great one off amazon for 30 bucks.

All dogs need a little act right once in awhile, you decide what method will work best for your dog.

I have to tread lightly, there was just a topic about this last week the mods shut down....

Anyway the shock collar will work if you do it right, the dog can never associate you with the shock. Never let him see the button, they learn what it is extremely fast and will act right until your not watching. It may take a few days of constant supervision but it should work.

If that doesn't work or you don't want the expense from tractor supply( they are $100 dollars there) I got a great one off amazon for 30 bucks.

All dogs need a little act right once in awhile, you decide what method will work best for your dog.
what brand shock collar did you buy? $30 seems like heck of a deal. Just want one that works..not necessarily top of the line $100 plus one I hope not to have to use it too long term

what brand shock collar did you buy? $30 seems like heck of a deal. Just want one that works..not necessarily top of the line $100 plus one I hope not to have to use it too long term

64d3975f4c336fe0e1b5956194b58b31.jpg

That's what I got...works great

Make sure you don't accidentally create a collar-wise dog. Have the dog wear the collar for about a week before you ever turn it on. Make sure you put it on for periods of time other than when you are training to leave the chickens alone. And put it on a good half hour before you start a session. Dogs are smart and will learn that they only get corrected if they are wearing the collar unless you take some precautions.

Do you guys not feel bad using these?
I guess it depends on how much you value your chickens... Dogs need to be taught what is acceptable behavior, and even if you have a good dog that starts chasing animals it will probably not respond to you yelling at it unless it's on a leash. Secondly and far more important, where we live is a rural farming community, generally my dog will never leave my property because of where the house is in relation to the property lines. If a dog kills chickens around here it's pretty much a death sentence, no one will tolerate someone else's dog killing the animals they make a living off of. Spot just wouldn't come home one day and that would be that. So no I do not feel bad I have to cause the dog some minor discomfort to learn chickens are not toys. I cannot keep a dog that bothers chickens, regardless of how much my children like it, the collar is a win win everyone stays happy and I don't have to give the dog away.

I guess it depends on how much you value your chickens...

Dogs need to be taught what is acceptable behavior, and even if you have a good dog that starts chasing animals it will probably not respond to you yelling at it unless it's on a leash.

Secondly and far more important, where we live is a rural farming community, generally my dog will never leave my property because of where the house is in relation to the property lines. If a dog kills chickens around here it's pretty much a death sentence, no one will tolerate someone else's dog killing the animals they make a living off of. Spot just wouldn't come home one day and that would be that.

So no I do not feel bad I have to cause the dog some minor discomfort to learn chickens are not toys. I cannot keep a dog that bothers chickens, regardless of how much my children like it, the collar is a win win everyone stays happy and I don't have to give the dog away.
Well said!

If you do not have a fence up i would put up a fence and make sure there are no spots for him to get in.

Back
Top Bottom