my German Shepherd killed 3 of my hens

Sorry to hear about it. Also sorry to tell you that you can not have free range chickens and the dog. Bottom line. Ever.
Fences with hot wires a found it will protect them. I have a shock collar and my dog is trained to it, but you can't be out there every moment. And it's a puppy. What you do now will determine it's personality for the rest of its life.
I have been told that once they do it, it's a done deal. Mine still will pounce on one any chance they get.

my dog will kill my chickens if allowed. She's a hunter. We just bring our doggie in and let our chickens out!

On the contrary.. I've found that its about setting boundaries and teaching the dog what is allowed and what is not allowed. When I first got my chickens, I knew my border collie was possessed of a strong hunting instinct. So the first thing I did was introduce her to the chicks while they were still in the brooder, protected by the wire top. Predictably, I saw that "predatory" look come in her eye and immediately corrected her, "No, Diamond, these are momma's.. you do not touch!" The predatory look vanished and she sniffed them for several long minutes before leaving and seeming to ignore them.

During their first outings, we brought her along as well.. but on leash and her martingale collar. By this point, the chicks had seen her around the brooder a lot but never bothering them so the chicks exhibited no fear of her (its often the thrill of chasing a feathery, flapping, squawking toy that triggers the attack). As the chicks walked around, scratching in the dirt and grass and such, we allowed Diamond (on a short lead) to approach and sniff them at her leisure. Again, I watched her closely for any 'signs' of her getting 'predatory'. In her case, she'll drop her head, the ears sweep back, fur on her neck might stand, and her gaze becomes fixed on her target. Any and all of these signs might be seen in her as the impulse comes on.

She'd spend several minutes looking and sniffing at them (one chick even let her sniff its butt.. that was pretty funny.), then she lost interest and was more interested in her ball. Which we threw for her several times as a reward. We took her for several of these outings before letting her go on one with her harness and collar on. She showed no interest towards the chicks even when they ran around peeping.

Then a really surprising thing happened. She turned protective and started looking after them. Whenever the chips peeped loudly in the brooder (spilt water, spilt food, whatever), she'd come and find us, whine and lead us to the brooder to tend them. She laid down among them to let them snuggle for warmth when they were outside. To this day, we now use her as protection when we let the flock free range. I have personally seen her run off two hawks (even coming within 2 feet of catching one).. but she never shows aggression towards the chickens.

Now, will you see this final behavior from your dog? Who knows? But it takes firmness and consistency in training. Some dogs are harder than others and it depends on what sort of habits you've already established with the dog. Do you let the puppy grab whatever he likes to use as a toy (shoes/socks/pillows?) or do you enforce that he only play with toys you give him? My dog, Diamond, will only play with toys she's specifically given. She'll rip her toys to shreds, but will never touch anything like our carelessly thrown shoes or socks.

Last edited:
She was a stray dog. Unfortunately we have had other behavior from her where she chooses to do whatever she wants. Even after calling her attention. Even when they're in the run she'll snap at them. She's repeatedly been reprimanded but she still chooses to go after them. We've decided she's too unpredictable to leave her alone with the chickens. I wish we could train her to guard them as well. But for now they just can't be out at the same time.

Last edited:
Terrible Breed Choice, IMO. CLearly you have dealt with the _rescue Sheperd_ choice by now, since 2015. Perhaps someone else can learn about dogs, supervision, Breed choices, security fence planning, vs impulsive wishful thinking about _pets_ - so many dogs are put down when they are acting instinctually and a bite misunderstood. It's a shame.

I have 7 Chicks at our property - we want the eggs - have a large yard and garden - and I study details about raising chicks every day...and we can afford them. Well, my partner and I are over 60 and careful to check on the babies CONSTANTLY the past 6 weeks. So today a young housemate who pays NO bills and does NO chores brought a German Shepherd Puppy here, without permission - and actually brought it inside - on the couch and rug. My partner and I let them know HELL NO, in no uncertain terms - and the little intruder is OUT of the house.

Not everybody who WANTS a _pet_ understands their needs long term - and TOO MANY of those people are Renters...with no YARD of their own, no Pet Insurance, VET budget, NO CLUE how they will care for the creature while at work, at school, out goofing off, ect. Trust me, neighbors, Landlords and housemates to NOT want to be burdened by these poor choices, and animals DO suffer.

As to the issues raised in this Post, my short response is this:
Important that you do your own online research BEFORE GETTING A POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS ANIMAL - make a plan and consider electric fences and shock collars, other measures since some breeds act VERY differently toward everyone else when their _Master_ is gone. Understand that breeds like this often don't take commands from other people. Canine instincts are OFTEN incompatible with free-ranging Chickens, and yelling at them is NOT a plan for protecting the Chickens.

Humans are frequently attacked as well by dogs who revert to instinctual behavior. EVERY new person or animal present in dog areas causes dogs to reassert the dominance chain. You may need a large kennel or HIGH fenced dog area. I love Dogs and was raised with them, I do NOT love uninformed humans who aquire dogs at any stage of their lives without a reasonable plan for care of that specific breed. Nuff said.

Last edited:
Our neighbor has a German Shepherd that mingles freely with his chickens but that is because he trained him properly that they are not to be hunted from the get go. From what I have been told, however, once a dog has killed a chicken they can never ever be trusted again freely around them. Once they have tasted that thrill they will not stop until they feel it again. I suggest a very tall fence or making sure the dog is well restrained in a house/kennel while the chickens are out free ranging.

Our neighbor has a German Shepherd that mingles freely with his chickens but that is because he trained him properly that they are not to be hunted from the get go. From what I have been told, however, once a dog has killed a chicken they can never ever be trusted again freely around them. Once they have tasted that thrill they will not stop until they feel it again. I suggest a very tall fence or making sure the dog is well restrained in a house/kennel while the chickens are out free ranging.
You have not been told correctly.

You have not been told correctly.
I was told that on several separate occasions by experienced chicken owners so I took it to be true. I suppose one could try to retrain a dog who had already killed a chicken but personally I would never fully be able to trust it. Good fences make good neighbors and all that.

I was told that on several separate occasions by experienced chicken owners so I took it to be true. I suppose one could try to retrain a dog who had already killed a chicken but personally I would never fully be able to trust it. Good fences make good neighbors and all that.
I have done the impossible repeatedly. The chicken killers now stay out with free-range chickens during the day and patrol roosting birds mostly in pens all night. This first hand, not second hand. It takes time, patience, work.

Back
Top Bottom