My ghetto chicken coop.

thatbeechick

Chirping
Aug 27, 2019
Australia (VIC)
Hi friends, check out the coop I built out of a discarded crib and the storage bin food weather protector and laying box. I've added LOTS of ventilation, as it's starting to get hot in Australia. I insulate it a little more during cooler months with some flooring, but we are likely to hit 120F/45C in the next 3 months, so I'm prepping for that. Electric solar poultry fence is in the post, the coop is lockable and guarded by bird friendly dogs in the meantime! Next up is a big DIY drinker (another hen has their usual one as she is sitting on eggs), but I ran out of daylight today!
20191003_195114.jpg
20191003_195030.jpg

Looks great, way to recycle. My only concern is the slatted floor, they may have trouble walking on that.
I just pulled the boards yesterday. I'm testing it out to see how they go, it's a 10 minute job to put them back in if it doesn't work for them, I've thought about it. :) I might whack them back in tomorrow if that's the general consensus?

Yeah we are almost out of our hot dry summer. What breeds are you going to put in it? Australorps?
I've got a mix. Adults are 1x ISA Brown, 1 x araucana (Australian so it has a tail), 1 x silkie, and one bantam buff orpington (but she's currently sitting eggs in her own little space). I have BCM chicks in the brooder plus one random Silver Campine egg that appeared in the post along with them. Will likely keep one of each and introduce carefully once they're bigger.

Chickens don't have to have fancy coops, we built a nice insulated one that was fort Knox that the first flock turned their nose up at and went and over took an empty horse stall, so we tarped up the open side and opened and closed the back side, stacked hay in to help keep it a bit warmer, there added a couple roosts in a corner put Chicken wire up from top of the sided and open front to keep the climbing critters and owls out. then made boxes outta what we could find. but they only liked one of those and used the hay bales instead lol. They did decide the insulated fort Knox was their go to when they wanted to brood though so at least that expense didn't go completely to waste. Chickens can be quit opinionated and bossy lol.

Back
Top Bottom