My girl cannot keep her eyes open

AlphaChick

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 6, 2014
Hi all, I will give you as much info as I have in brief. I have a yr old white EE who is a great layer. She is a bit on the thin side, but has been since the beginning because she is streamlined to never be caught! I have never seen such a fast chicken!!! Anyway, she is dozing all day and seem to have trouble keeping her eyes open. I have checked her for mites and egg binding...nothing. Her eyes are not swollen and her mouth and nose seem fine. She does still eat. She is usually always on high alert (should have named her the general), so the sluggishness over the past few days is really unlike her. I have Tylan 50, but am reluctant to use it without other symptoms. Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks!

By the way. I am a new member but have followed you all the past year. I love this site and the people who post. You are all very helpful and polite. Thanks for being that way!!!

Welcome to BYC. If there is a chance that she might have coccidiosis (new to you or you have recently added another new bird which may have brought in a new strain of cocci) I would treat her with Corid (amprollium) for 5 days. Symptoms are huddling or puffing up, lethargy, poor appetite, diarrhea--sometimes with blood, but not always, and pale color. If not cocci, check her crop (it should be full at night and empty in early morning,) worm her with SafeGuard paste or liquid goat wormer, offer her some scrambled egg, low salt tuna, liver, or dry cat food for high protein, and confine her in a cage over night to look at her droppings. Give the severe outbreak dosage of Coridhere if you decide to treat: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/818879/updated-corid-and-amprol-amprolium-dosing

Thank You! I have her separated and her poop looks fairly normal so I don't think it is coccidiosis. She did start running a fever though (hot head and beak) so i went ahead and gave her the Tylan. I will check her crop tonight and in the morning. I gave her an egg and she ate about half right away:). I put electrolytes and probiotics in her water so hopefully that will help as well. I put a pin up in my garage so she will stay warm. Hopefully all will go well. Thanks again for the input!

After watching her poop overnight, I would probably put her back out with the flock in the morning, since you don't want to have to re-integrate her (that is not fun for a single chicken.) Checking her poops now and then for a few days may help. There are some intestinal problems like enteritis that can make them sick. The Tylan certainly won't hurt her for 3-5 days worth. Give some probiotics or buttermilk/yogurt after the Tylan.

She looks much better this morning. She laid an egg, ate a ton and her eyes are staying open. I guess the Tylan was what she needed. I put her back with the flock today and things are going well. Thanks so much for all the help!!!

Back
Top Bottom