My girl cockatiels aren't laying eggs.

macdoogle

Songster
9 Years
Feb 11, 2010
San Diego
I have four cockatiels. Two boys and two girls. I have seen both pairs mate but so far no eggs. I have heard that girl cockatiels will lay eggs even without a cock, so what's up?

I have a year old female cockatiel with a male parakeet. My cockatiel has laid 2 clutches of eggs 7 then 6 and sat on them both. They can't even mate and she laid all those eggs. I'm doing everything I can not to have her lay. Did you make them a nice nest to sit in?

I've hand raised tiels for many years. Female tiels normally do not FULLY reach sexual maturity until they are 18-24 months old and should not be bred until then. I have had many single female tiels that never laid eggs. They can lay as early as 7-9 months but it is unhealthy for her. She is still in the process of growing and its like babies having babies. Even if she did manage to hatch them out, they would more than likely die if you let the pair try to take care of chicks.

Well since my post back in May my older hen, Dixie Chick, has layed 4 eggs. She is now sitting on them. She and her mate, Mac, are 4 years old. I seperated them from the younger pair as Mac was getting very protective. Now what? I still don't know if the eggs are fertile, but if they are I sure hope those two will know what to do.

Well Mac and Dixie's eggs are hatching. Three out of four chicks so far. Expect the last chick by tomorrow or the next day. All look healthy and Mom and Dad are going a good job so far. My plan is to let the parents raise them and then hand feed them in 2-3 weeks. They are in an outside aviary right now. Any suggestions on how to move them inside to a cage/brooder? I want to have better control. It's hard to get to the nest box right now, and Dad is so protective.

I would not move them. Period. Let Mom and Dad care for the babies, if you move them it may be too upsetting and they will stop feeding the babies. Hand feeding is a tricky business and why do it if you don't have to? I have always had my cockateils breed inside, I would just let the parents tend the babies, after they started feathering out I would play with them for a bit and then just put them back in the nest. Mom & Dad did all the work, I did all the playing.

My vet agrees with you. He said to let Mom and Dad do the feeding and just play with the chicks when they get to be 2 weeks old. New problem though. Ants are invading the water and food bowl in the aviary. They are staying out of the nest box so far. I can't use bug spray for obvious reasons. There's been a heat wave and that always means ants. I've tried to mist the area and replace the water and food often. Any suggestions on how to get rid of those little pests?

Food grade diatomitous (sp?) earth (DE for short). It won't hurt the birds but it will get rid of the ants. I had the same trouble, but with the chickens. I sprinkled food grade DE all over like holy water and no bugs at all now. And trust me, where I live that is nothing short of Amazing.

DON'T USE DE FOR POOLS. It's different, no matter what the pool people tell you. Be sure to use Food Grade. The type at pool places is bad, and the type for gardens is too.

Back
Top Bottom