My Girl is Gone

drdoolittle

Crowing
13 Years
Jul 30, 2010
NE Indiana
Sadly, we had to have our beautiful German Shepherd, Daisy euthanised last Saturday. She had been losing weight for a month, and wasn't eating much at all. She had also startedpeeing in our enclosed porch where we keep her at night during the cold months----even during the day if it's bad out. I was expecting to have the vet tell me he thought Daisy had a bladder infection, give me some antibiotic and set me up for a re-check. Instead, he found a massabout 10" long, 3" wide and 2" thick in her abdomen. Daisy was 11, and had a wonderful life with us for only 6 short years, but I had loved her for much longer. Daisy's original owner was an old neighbor of mine, and I'd been struggling for 3 years to get him to give Daisy to us. He finally relented when several neighbors got Animal Control to come out---fearing for Daisy's life. It was unseasonably warm that Feb.of 2006, and had been above freezing and raining for 2 straight days and Daisy was soaked to the bone. Herdoghouse was holey to say the least, and her yard was dirt in dry weather, and 5 inches of mud in any other weather. Nobody lived in the house where she wastied up with a logging chain connected to a runner, so there was no one to take her inside. The forcast called for the temps to fall to -2F that night. The owner called me that day asking if I still wanted Daisy-----I was there as soon as I could get off work and jump in my truck! She was a wonderful dog----like Lassie, Rin Tin Tin and Old Yellar all in one beautiful courageous being. She always went out to do chores with me---morning and evening, in all weather and no matter how she felt. I will miss her terribly.
R.I.P.---my Beautiful Girl and Faithful Companion

Here's another picture of her in her pool this summer.

And some of her watching me through the fence of the goat enclosure.
2659_goatsflowers_293.jpg

2659_goatsflowers_291.jpg

i am so very sorry for your loss. We lost a dear cat just a little over a month ago to cancer. Massive aggressive tumor in his abdomen, and he just wasted away. It's so hard to watch them suffer, but now both our babies are in heaven and feeling no pain. So sorry again. Daisy was very lucky to have you as a loving, caring owner.

What an awesome blessing you were for her, as she was to you! Despite the sadness you feel now, you can rest assured you did the right thing-- you allowed her to spend the second half of her life knowing love, care, comfort and you took the final responsibility of making that awful decision that none of us wants to make...yet a lot of us have to do because that's part of our "job."
Well done.
I really am sorry for your loss...I've walked that path and fear I'll be walking it again before another year has passed--13 year old Aussie, 35+ year old pony, and my Quarter Horse mare will be 29 in April...I bought her as a starving 2 year old.

Thank you all for your kind words. I knew it would be hard losing her, but I didn't know how deep the pain would be. I've had other dogs that had to be euthanised because of old age, but she was different. It was almost as painful as when my mother died. We surprisingly already got another GSD----we had decided not to get another dog---at least until summer. I especially thought I didn't want another GSD---none could be as wonderful as her. But we happened upon an ad on CL for a male GSD puppy, and one look at the pic and we were done for. He is so smart, and already housetrained at 4 months! The people who had him live in a bad neighborhood and owned the father and brother. They kept them inside at times--I believe in crates in the basement---and tied up in a fenced dirt yard----kind of like my Daisy. I don't feel I'm replacing her, just giving another GSD the life she should have had from the beginning. I am also trying to convince thepeople I got Cyrus---the new puppy--from to sell his brother. An aquaintance from work told me his brother's GSD died unexpectadly a couple weeks ago and they want another one----hope these people want the money more than the pup. I'll post pics. of Cyrus tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom