My girl is squeaking

LauraSac

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 24, 2014
Sacramento, CA
One of my two RIR's started squeaking a couple days ago when she attempts to squawk. Her clucks still sound normal, though, and she's had some improvement with her squawks. It's now more of a mix of squeak and regular, but I'm still concerned.

She's breathing fine, has a ton of energy, a strong appetite, poops normally, crop is normal. No discharge from eyes or mouth. No gaping, except in the late afternoon, when it's hot. We've had a heat wave for the past few days, reaching 100° or more. It's extremely dry here. Zero humidity. And with all the fires we've had in Northern California, pretty much every day is a "Spare the Air" day. Could heat or poor air quality cause this? My flock is just my two girls, and this one is my favorite. She's the less vocal of the two. She's a daily layer and rarely makes a peep when she's in the nesting box, but she's still pretty chatty in the mornings and whenever she sees me. Being squeaky hasn't changed that.

Here's a brief video of her:

Everything I've read has other symptoms. Her squeaky voice is her only symptom.

Last edited:
Don't know, but very interesting. Hoping someone with experience will give you some replies.
But doesn't sound sick with your description.

You can always just call and ask a vet. There is a place in Roseville that knows a lot about chicken/birds. I just found them. I have been looking for a vet that takes chickens for a while. It's the Bird and Pet clinic of Roseville. 916.773.6049

You can always just call and ask a vet. There is a place in Roseville that knows a lot about chicken/birds. I just found them. I have been looking for a vet that takes chickens for a while. It's the Bird and Pet clinic of Roseville. 916.773.6049
Thank you! We have two different vets for our dogs and cat and neither treat chickens. I've been looking for a vet for the chickens, too. Of course I didn't need one until now, so I was only looking so hard. I was going to call UC Davis tomorrow (though I don't know who I'd talk to). I just got home and checked on her and she sounds normal sometimes, but she still has the squeak, too. Energy, breathing and appetite are all still fine.

Last edited:
Thank you! We have two different vets for our dogs and cat and neither treat chickens. I've been looking for a vet for the chickens, too. Of course I didn't need one until now, so I was only looking so hard. I was going to call UC Davis tomorrow (though I don't know who I'd talk to). I just got home and checked on her and she sounds normal sometimes, but she still has the squeak, too. Energy, breathing and appetite are all still fine.

Your welcome. This weekend I really needed at vet so I was on a mission to find one. I called UC davis today to get an appointment since they are closer to me than Roseville. They were booked two weeks out and if they had to see her before it was a $200 exam fee!!! I was like ooh nooooo. The Roseville vet is a $65 fee. Much better!. UC Davis' number is 530-752-1393 then option 3. That is the small animal then option 3 is avian.Lol...I know way more than what I want too lol.

Your welcome. This weekend I really needed at vet so I was on a mission to find one. I called UC davis today to get an appointment since they are closer to me than Roseville. They were booked two weeks out and if they had to see her before it was a $200 exam fee!!! I was like ooh nooooo. The Roseville vet is a $65 fee. Much better!. UC Davis' number is 530-752-1393 then option 3. That is the small animal then option 3 is avian.Lol...I know way more than what I want too lol.
Thanks for all the info. I'm hoping I wake up tomorrow and she's all better, but if not, I'll call the Roseville vet. $200 for an exam fee is insane.

Thanks for all the info. I'm hoping I wake up tomorrow and she's all better, but if not, I'll call the Roseville vet. $200 for an exam fee is insane. 

Yeah no problem. The video of her is cute by the way. I don't know what the squeaking means but it's cute on her. Lol:cd

It sounds normal to me. I haven't heard it lately, but my production reds will sound like that when they ask for treats, hugs, or maybe they want out of their pen!

It sounds normal to me. I haven't heard it lately, but my production reds will sound like that when they ask for treats, hugs, or maybe they want out of their pen!
Huh. She's only 6 months old, so I suppose she's still developing her voice. She was definitely saying "let me out, let me out!" in the video. It's a totally new sound for her, though. It sounds strained compared to her other vocalizations.

After three days of a whispery squeak, her voice is a lot stronger this morning! Her biggest concern was her sister hogging the nesting box. I'm such a mother hen with my chickens and all my pets. I feel much better about Janet this morning. At least I know of a chicken vet in the area now. Thanks @JensChickies !

Back
Top Bottom