My girl Mildred - ninja duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by newbyduckmom, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Marty1876

Marty1876 Hi Everyone!

I sincerely hope this helps. I'm very impressed at your perseverence. Your a very good pet owner.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Just want to express deep gratitude.

To newbyduckmom, for not giving up on Mildred, when circumstances were piled up against her.

To Marty1876, for coming forward with another approach that I pray will be just what Mildred and newbyduckmom need to be rid of this awful infection.

3. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Songster

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    Ah, ladies, thank you, you made me cry. Darned duck just got to me....not that my pets ever do. Ha ha ha!

Power's been out since about 3 am. So not much BYC today.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

X2!! [​IMG]

5. Marty1876

Marty1876 Hi Everyone!

Did you try the poultice this morning? How is your sweet patient?

6. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Songster

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    Yep, she's been "potatoed". She's happy and bobbing her head and chattering away. Silly duck. It actually looks really good today. No sign of swelling. Keep getting my hopes up, and then it swells again. But this time it is gonna be fine!

The milk cartoon works wonders too! Thought she'd be afraid of it. But all I needed to do was wiggle my fingers in the water - sure keeps things drier. Will cut down on clean up time- she's one messy duck when it comes to food and water.

7. Marty1876

Marty1876 Hi Everyone!

They all are, aren't they! LOL. I hope that the mucus plug you removed contained her forign matter, so that the potatoe can just draw out the rest of the loose infection material, and seal her up a bit. Glad shes happy and expressive.

[​IMG]

Happy Spring!
    [​IMG]

8. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Songster

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    I changed the poultice this morning. The foot looks pretty good. But still scabbed over. The wrap and poultice were brown (not surprising given the potato), but no sign of any foreign object. Of course, the scab is firmly in place on both the top and the bottom of the foot. Any suggestions?

Your ducks are beauties! What is the black one? Cayuga? Very pretty. (I want one! LOL of course, don't most duck owners want one of each at least?)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  9. Marty1876

Marty1876 Hi Everyone!

I'd let her swim in a tub for an hour to soften it up. Hot compress may also loosenn it up.

You say she is scabbed top and bottem.... Do you mean there are two wound openings? If the scab is holding well, and their is no more swelling, that lends validatioin to the idea you removed the foreign matter. Next time you take off the poultice, wash area well, and re wrap dry. Lets see if she is oozing. If there is still stuff in there, it will begin the ooze again shortly.

What is the longest she has gone without reswelling? Does it smell funny? Can she still bend and flex the foot normally yet? IS it hot to the touch?

10. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Songster

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: