My girl turned out to be a boy. šŸ˜¶

BunnyEberhart

Songster
Jun 9, 2020
Brighton, Colorado
I have 2 ducks I purchased with my 5 chickens in March. The store had them all marked as female. Then one of the Easter Eggers started crowing. "She" grew a beautiful rooster tail, saddle feathers, a 3 row pea comb, and big waddles. So not a female. Lol Now my little Khaki Campbell Bella just got "her" Drake feathers... so Bella is a boy. So now I am watching my Pekin like crazy looking for a drake feather. I named her Howard after one of my favorite comics with plans to call her Howie for short as she is sad to be a girl. I already decided to move them to their own area. We are building a pond and their enclosure now. I know I will have to add at least one more duck for Bella but I am waiting to know for sure that Howie is a female before I add any more ladies. I brought them into the bathroom to have more control to take the photos. They are getting their adult plumage now so shouldn't be to long before we know If we have 2 drakes or not. I love them so much and I am fine having a boy named Bella.
20200610_110533.jpg
20200610_110526.jpg
20200610_110529.jpg
20200610_110521.jpg
20200610_110515.jpg
20200610_110510.jpg

The green in the face and tail is a dead give away. Unfortunately with Pekins it's not so easy. Voice and curl is the only way. If the pekin is honking/quacking it's a girl, if not it's also a boy. Good news is you can keep the boys together in a bachelor band, but you may want pool time to be supervised only once they hit breeding hormones. LOL

The green in the face and tail is a dead give away. Unfortunately with Pekins it's not so easy. Voice and curl is the only way. If the pekin is honking/quacking it's a girl, if not it's also a boy. Good news is you can keep the boys together in a bachelor band, but you may want pool time to be supervised only once they hit breeding hormones. LOL
Oh thank you! I will watch them closely. ^_^

Back
Top Bottom