My girls have stopped laying Eggs!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by NacientNeedle, Aug 4, 2016.

1. NacientNeedle

NacientNeedle Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2014
    The girls started regular egg production this Spring and were doing great. In early Spring we had a raccoon attach - near miss, a neighbor's Jack Russell full on attached and almost got one and then a skunk in the run that caused a little stir all relatively close together in May/June. The girls have not gotten back to regular laying ever since. They get good day light hours, good food w/plenty protein. One is now molting, but that doesn't explain why no one is laying! How long until they get back to business??? We keep a regular schedule and they have a nice size fenced in yard to free range for a few hours a day. Maybe they need a little candle light and soft music in the coop???
  2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

do they have enough water? lack of water, even for a day can really mess up their laying schedule
  3. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Chicken Obsessed

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Go out with a cup of coffee and sit and listen. When mine appear to have quit laying, they have almost always created a different secret nest. However, they will still sing the egg song.

It is amazing how they can hide a nest in nearly plain sight.

Mrs K
    1 person likes this.
  4. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    We have had same issues with predators & lack of eggs. We have a lot of molting going on here though. Temps in the 90s. My girls have really slowed down their laying pattern. After molting, it should kick back in. I would take Mrs. K's advice. I am sitting with mine tomorrow, in the very early morning. All the predator issues we have had, just going to make sure they are not being terrorized. :)
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
  5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Are these pullets or over a year old hens?
    What is your climate?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by