My girls!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by lawsonchickens, Nov 5, 2014.

1. lawsonchickens

lawsonchickens New Egg

Oct 26, 2014
    Eureka, Ca
    so these are my girls! They are both 19.5 weeks. My barred rock- Lucy had been acting more and more like she may start to lay soon. In the past couple weeks her comb and wattle have gotten a lot bigger and a lot more red! She now does the "submissive squat" I keep hearing about when I go to pet her, and that's new for about a week now. So we filled their laying boxes and put a fake egg in one of them. My Wyandotte isn't acting much different yet, except for she used to be REALLY skittish, which was strange because we have had them since they were 2.5 weeks and treated them the same. But she has been slightly more friendly, still wants nothing to do with being pet, but she had no problem eating treats from our hands, and she is VERY vocal when feeding/treats :)

But I was wondering if my barred rock looked like she may be getting close to laying soon judging by her comb and wattles? I know all chickens are different, but the hubby and I are 1st timers to chicken raising!! Thanks so much!!

[​IMG]

2. lawsonchickens

lawsonchickens New Egg

Oct 26, 2014
    Eureka, Ca
    [​IMG]

3. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    You have pretty hens. All the signs you mentioned are signs that Lucy should be laying soon.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by