My goat tore her leg open!!!!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by SilkieCRZYness, Jul 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Quote:You're welcome! Just played with them a little.

2. dfchaser

dfchaser Songster

Apr 25, 2008
    NC
    Good to hear and see things are going well. Make sure as you are cleaning the wound daily, you check for a foul smell or for the wound to be very hot. Both of those mean that there is an underlying infection on its way.

Sorry i did not answer earlier, you can get either Bio-Mycin or LA 200 at TSC and i believe some kind of Penicillin G - i ordered all of my emergency stuff online, it was cheaper for a bulk order.

Just keep the wound as dry and clean as possible, and rewrap daily until it begins to close. In a few days, she should start to put some weight on that leg, which is a good sign!

Good luck! and if you need anything you can email me for a faster response (just click on the email link under my user name)!

3. conny63malies

conny63malies Crowing

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Quote:sounds like you saved her from becoming a cinco de mayo dinner. good luck with your girl.

4. SilkieCRZYness

SilkieCRZYness Songster

Jun 9, 2008
    Florida
    and for all to know, she didnt jump the fence or get caught in the fence at all. she was up on top of my feed bin which is made up plastic and there is a crack up top which has never been a problem before, somehow she managed to get her foot in there and try to jump off and it was a bad angle and got caught in the crack. i dont think she was there much more than an hour but thats still bad. and ANYONE KNOw what kind of goats these are. the two white ones are sister, i raised them from a day old, i bought momma and these two kids at the auction, the girls had the ambilicul cords (haha cant spell) on and could barely stand. so adorable. but mom was not a nigerian. she did not have long floppy ears looked like a mix. but somehow these two turned out to be looking like nigerians. they are so sweet and follow me in the house and wont leave me alone. the billy goat is pure pigmy as i saw his dad and mom both short and stocky, and the girl that we are all talking about im guessing is a pigmy to. kind of ugly with the beard haha but w.e. ne ways thanks again

5. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    crzyboutDuccles-How can we trust you? You keep changing your story.
    1st-You state she was injured on a fence and now you say, no it was a feeder?
    Unfortunatley you edited your first post so I can't get the quote from there.
    Quote:2nd-You change your story about being able to afford a vet.
    Quote:Quote:If you really wanted to take care of her properly you would have called a vet when we urged you to. If you really couldn't afford a vet or you couldn't find one that treats goats then you go to other measures. I hope she heals well.

6. SilkieCRZYness

SilkieCRZYness Songster

Jun 9, 2008
    Florida
    first, please find anywhere that i said that she was caught in a fence, even in my unedited post i never said she was caught in a fence i said i found her hanging and lifted her up. why would i lie about that i just want to help this goat out. second, the word afford should have not been said when i explained my situation, i should have used "not willing" to spend the money on a vet for something that i can fix myself. thats y i got on here and asked for help and suggestions. I did use your suggestions and call a few local vets and none would come to were i was located for a "minor" injury as one vet said. He said goats are tough, and you can get everything you need at your local feed store to treat her symptoms properally. Thats what i did as many said to do that as well. And as far as lying, listen, if you think i got on her to tell you guys lie, well then so be it, i really dont care if you feel that way, just please dont reply then, but for those who "believe me" and can get over the irrelavent info and bs on how things occured, and just want to help me heal this goat, i will take all advice in, to yall, thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2008
  7. dixygirl

dixygirl Songster

May 14, 2008
    I would love to see a photo of the actual injury. I wish I could have seen it when it first happened also. For me seeing this is a learning experience in case i ever need to this knowledge myself in the future.

Thanks so much for sharing this experience with us and i pray she gets better soon [​IMG]

8. helmstead

helmstead Songster

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Quote:This WHOLE THREAD disgusts me.

Shame on you for being unwilling to spend money on your goats when they're injured like this. Matter of fact, it's ILLEGAL in your state not to seek veterinary care for injured livestock. You CAN find a vet to work on goats with just a little legwork, trust me...I've managed to find something like THREE small animal clinics in ATLANTA alone to treat pet goats.

To all of you who keep patting this poster on the back...shame on you, too. Animal husbandry isn't about cheaping out at every possible turn, and the likely result for this doe is permanent injury after a long, painful treatment.

9. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator

Jan 11, 2007
    NE Washington State
    I think this thread has gotten off course.
    crzyboutDuccles, please repost in the emergency section carefully with the facts and we can advise you. Though you have been given excellent advise here about vet care and other things that are vital to your goats health.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: