My goat tore her leg open!!!!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by SilkieCRZYness, Jul 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SilkieCRZYness

SilkieCRZYness Songster

Jun 9, 2008
    Florida
    Please read my first post again, i edited it now that i have relaxed and quit freaken out and explained it better and more thoroughly since some seem to think what im trying to do is not right.

2. kstaven

kstaven Crowing

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Now that we are on a more understanding track I will post my thoughts. [​IMG] I have grown up around farm animals and part of that life is learning how to care for wounds and minor emergencies, because for the most part when an animal needs care they need it now and a vet can often be hours away or totally unavailable.

A good first aid kit and taking a good first aid course is always my first suggestion for anyone who has animals.

Vets are invaluable but you are your own first line of defense in an emergency.

Although a few wrong products where used I have to give credit to this person for doing what they could with what was available and then asking questions on this forum. I would suggest for the future getting a book like veterinary care for animal owners by Spaulding and Clay or a similar publication. Then take a first aid course in your spare time. I hate to say this, but having animals will likely mean seeing things like this happen more than once.

BTW: A pregnant doe could use some extra dietary supplementation. For some extra goat information on the subject you can google fiasco farm. They have a good section on what to expect and look for when a doe is kidding and suggested items to have on hand.

3. KLH2010

KLH2010 Songster

Apr 20, 2008
    There have been some really helpful suggestions so far. Several great products are available that will help you keep the leg clean and hopefully disinfected. I have had good luck with furazone myself. Kudos to you for doing the best you can to take care of the goat. With livestock species we don't always have the availability and/or the luxury of calling a vet out for every problem.

4. SilkieCRZYness

SilkieCRZYness Songster

Jun 9, 2008
    Florida
    Well first i would like to thank you all for the helpful replys again. second, i would like to update you all. i picked up at tractor supply and picked up a syringe, tetnus antitoxin, red-kote, alushield, vet wrap and some gauss pads. i came home, unwrapped her bandage and was amazed at how nice it looked, it doesnt seem as bad as i thought(then again, i might have in my head that she was going to die and this cut needed a vet and stitches and theres no other way of saving her from the first few post yall put on here) but im a determined person and followed through with the other post that i agreed with. i flushed her wound out with water, then dabbed it dry. then i sprayed the red-kote on it, put a gauss pad on and vet wrapped it. i also gave her the shot and gave her some treats just to make sure she had an appetite and didnt hate me lol. I bought the alushield, which is like a liquid bandaid to keep stuff out of the cut, to put on once its about healed up and doesnt need ne more vet wrap, just for saftey as well as to keep incase something happens again and i need to put on so it doesnt get infected. Soo i took some pics of her and her 3 buds, summer autumn and big daddy. (and no im not gay i just have gf that picked out that color wrap!!!) thanks again to all. heres some pics-

Also, i need to trim up there hooves, and i was wondering how you guys do it yourself without a fairy, ne one who thinks i need a fairy and have to pay a couple hundred dollas, please go blow your hot air out in another section of this forum. thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EDIT to make the picture links work

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2008
  5. glowworm

glowworm Songster

Jun 10, 2008
    SacraTomato, CA
    Can you post a picture of the wound next time you take the bandage off?

6. Moonwalker

Moonwalker Songster

Jan 9, 2008
    Washburn, MO
    LOL!
    I would say you really could use a fairy, as in fairy godmother!
    A person who trims and shoes horses is called a farrier.
    (I'm not being mean, just thought it was funny and not the most unusual thing I have heard them called)
    you can get a small pair of nippers either at the feed store or even in the hardware dept. I like to use the little 8" ones I can get in the hardware store for goats and small animals because they are easier for me to handle. ( I have small hands and my pygmys hooves are tiny) If you have never done it before it might be a good idea the first time to get someone to show you how so you can do it yourself next time. Doesn't have to be a farrier, just someone who can show you how far to cut and how to avoid the tender parts. Since they aren't as heavy and don't carry a rider's extra weight, it's not as critical to get them perfectly even, but you can hurt them if you cut too short or too crooked!

7. glowworm

glowworm Songster

Jun 10, 2008
    SacraTomato, CA
    Also, did you start her on oral or injection antibiotics? (Besides any sort of cream that you applied). Fighting infection will be your #1 problem and concern.

8. SilkieCRZYness

SilkieCRZYness Songster

Jun 9, 2008
    Florida
    woops meant to say ferrier hahaha, [​IMG][​IMG] and about the antibiotics, all i have done is the tetnus shot, and the red-kote. what anitibiotics should i be using?

9. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Just for further ref. Doc Lee Bruey does goats in North Fl. Very good, very kind, very cheap. [​IMG]

10. Chatychick

Chatychick Songster

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    As far as antibiotics a injection will do her better than oral antiboitics. I personally like Biomycin as it dont sting but if they dont have that get LA200. Goats metabolize meds so fast that oral meds hardly work. That is mainly why I use injectable meds. Looks like you have a nice herd of Nigerians also and they look well and in great shape. I would give her a shot 2x a day for at least 7 to 10 days to ward off infection. She wont really like it but thats they way it goes if you jump the fence...Good luck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: